The Red Lion Book Club

I now have my copy too and I'm taking it to Venice with me tomorrow so i'll be definitely be done by next week. I look forward to seeing everyone then!

Shauna

I saw the interview with Richard and Judy but was at the gym so couldn't hear what they were saying - would have been interesting to wknow what was being said.

I didn't see it, but a friend told me that Imogen Stubbs raved about it, but the bloke (can't remember his name) didn't think much of Mr Pip.

I've finished Mister Pip (started Sunday, finished Tuesday!)... now just need to remember what I think about it for a whole week.....

now just need to remember what I think about it for a whole week.....

Yes, it is hard to remember things you found interesting. Why not make a few notes?

Yes, it is hard to remember things you found interesting. Why not make a few notes?

I've written more than usual in my reading record book!

Having been forced to keep one at school, I now choose to because it's useful when my memory fails me: I have a little exercise book where, for each book I read, I record the dates I started and finished reading it, the title and author and a couple of sentences about what I thought of it. Oh, and each book gets a number too, so I can see how many I've read since records began in December '04 (110, in case you're interested!).

I see.

By my reckoning you must read about 2.82 books per month on average. That's quite prolific - although I think you'll find Mocca beats that quite comfortably. Isn't that right Mocca?

Have you read any of our previous books (see opening post)? If not, you still have 7 days!

I've read The Time Traveller's Wife. The others look quite fat, and I've a busy weekend ahead, so I'm not sure I'd get through another of the list books by Wednesday!

However, I'm starting a new daily commute (by train) in April, so I expect the average read-speed to go up.

I've written more than usual in my reading record book!

Having been forced to keep one at school, I now choose to because it's useful when my memory fails me: I have a little exercise book where, for each book I read, I record the dates I started and finished reading it, the title and author and a couple of sentences about what I thought of it. Oh, and each book gets a number too, so I can see how many I've read since records began in December '04 (110, in case you're interested!).

That is a good idea and very organised. Wish I had done that now as I finished Mister Pip nearly two weeks ago now. Will have to refresh my memory this weekend.

That is a good idea and very organised. Wish I had done that now as I finished Mister Pip nearly two weeks ago now. Will have to refresh my memory this weekend.

I can't really remember what made me start doing it again....

shlg, goodness, you put a lot of effort into your reading! I always find it difficult to remember every interesting little detail so I would probably benefit from keeping a record. I don't on purpose, as I don't want this to remind me of school. It will be interesting to see what your experience of the book is and whether the notebook changes things.

It does seem like we are going to be more than usual next week so it will be nice to meet all the new people!

See you on the 12th.

shlg, goodness, you put a lot of effort into your reading!

I suppose I thought I should use my English Lit degree for something, after getting all that student debt for it...

Mr librarian strikes again, found this link that I thought people might find useful.

http://www.themanbookerprize.com/downloads/MBP_ReadersGuide_MrPip.pdf

Oh and could someone remember to bring a copy so new members know who we are? I have returned mine to the library sorry.

See you on Wednesday, whoops nearly didn't make it as I have dance class on wednesday. Have decided to give Salsa a miss though to discuss Mister Pip ;-)