The Red Lion Book Club

Can someone please bring a copy of the book for the newcomer to recognise us?

Will do Mocca!

Lots of apologies folks, but something has cropped up and I am not going to be able to make it tonight. Suffice to say that whoever enjoybs Mr fforde's work has very different tastes to mine. But I have already acquired Mr Pip and will be at the next meeting.

Hi Code,

That's a shame, but we'll see you next time then.

Would be good to have your thoughts anyway for us to ponder. Can you describe why you found the book irritating?

The literary name dropping in the form of characters names was very irritating. Also, I like science fiction where there is a clear structure and clear rules of the universe, even if slightly different to ours (vampire stories need clear rules, for example, as well). But I didn't see a structure here (which fantasy often doesn't have - people often assume that people who like SciFi like fantasy but they are two very different things). I also thought there was a "deus ex machina" ending.

The one thing that I found mildly amusing was that Wales was a Communist state in the book. But I thought more mileage could have been got from that.

Hi, I'm hoping to join- please count me in for the next meet if possible.

Hi all

Many thanks for making me feel very welcome last night!

As discussed (on here and last night), this month's book will be Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones. The discussion/meeting will take place on 12 March at 7.30pm in The Red Lion, Charles Street. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is no vortex in this one!

The book for the month after that will be Brick Lane by Monica Ali - to be discussed/slammed at a date in April to be decided!

See you all on 12 March...

Shauna

Hi Shauna nice to meet you and the other new members last night (sorry I did say I was rubbish with names)

No vortex?? You know how much I like a good vortex - surely a book is not worth reading unless there is a vortex which can be plugged by a basketball somewhere in the story:hihi:

(and yes I am still going on about it!):roll:

Thaks for last night everyone, was great to welcome the new faces.

Looking forward to the next meeting.

Am enjoying Mr Pip so far, 50 pages in. Surprised to read a book about Papua New Guinea which has not yet mentioned Rugby League though!

yep, hear hear Mocca & Pupster - I enjoyed last meeting also.

Have not started Mister Pip yet, Code13 - I'm trying to squeeze in Time Travelers Wife so as to catch up with founder members like yourself!

I've now started Mister Pip and I'm enjoying it so far. At the 50 page mark so hopefully it will carry on pleasing!