The Red Lion Book Club

How are people getting on with The Book Thief? I finished it this morning and nearly cried on the train.

Hi shlg. I've just started it and it looks interesting, though no tears yet. If it's as good as you say I'm sure I'll finish it in time.

I am 102 pages in, very good so far.

I'm really enjoying it too. I sometimes fell like Death goes on a bit, but that doesn't detract from my enjoyment too much!

I have finished it and enjoyed it as well. Agree with shlg one of the most original books I have read in a long time.

Before I forget - we have a request from one group member that meets from June onwards be on the Thursday rather than the Wednesday, to avoid an eternal clash with a 4-week shift pattern.

Would this be OK with other people?

I don't mind what day we meet on!

Thanks to all who attended last night's meeting. We discussed whether our next-but-one book by Harlen Coben was part of a series. Well, if it is "The Woods" (which as I recall, it is) then I checked it out in WH Smith's today and it is a "stand-alone" book.

That's good news - don't think I could have managed a whole series in five weeks!

We agreed that the next meeting will be at 7.30pm on Wed 11th June, when we will discuss 'A Spot Of Bother'.

Just to confirm the book selected for the time after next is Harlan Coben - The Woods. Hope you like it, feeling less confident after the universal approval for the book thief!

I was so chuffed with my choice when everyone liked the book thief... and then went out with a friend this evening whose book group had also discussed the book thief this week, and he hated it. So none of us can win 'em all.

Just to confirm the book selected for the time after next is Harlan Coben - The Woods. Hope you like it, feeling less confident after the universal approval for the book thief!

Nice one on the book choice! I'm looking forward to it. And I wouldn't worry about getting approval - my choice got mixed reviews!

Hi,

I enquired about joining your book club a few months ago but things went a bit crazy busy and didn't make it. Could I still join now please? I happened to have just started a Spot of Bother..when is the June meeting?

Thanks.

Laura.