The Red Lion Book Club

Hello,

Just registered here. Is this book club taking on new members? when do you meet etc...

I'd like to join you all...as I love reading, but in terms of the classics etc, I'm not well-read, so I fear that I'd probably be an embarassment at a discussion.

Do people get annoyed if you don't like the suggested books?

Well Ron, do you? ;)

Hello,

Just registered here. Is this book club taking on new members? when do you meet etc...

As far as I know, we're not closed to new members (I was new myself at the last meeting).

We meet at the Red Lion on Charles St, at 7.30pm, roughly once a month. The next meeting is on Thursday 10th April, and we'll be discussing Brick Lane by Monica Ali.

I'd like to join you all...as I love reading, but in terms of the classics etc, I'm not well-read, so I fear that I'd probably be an embarassment at a discussion.

You'll be fine - we're not judgemental (except of the books!).

:)

Well Ron, do you? ;)

Not annoyed, Code, but I do feel some sadness and regret at the pain that has been inflicted on certain members of the group by my choice of the Eyre Affair. Had I known the trauma it was going to lead to then I might have chosen more carefully. I wish I could turn back the clock and change my selection. Or better still, beam myself into the flipping book and remove all mention of the Vortex which has led to Pupster’s continued nightmares!

Ah well...someone has to make a decision on what's to be read, and I'd guess it's impossible to please everyone. I'm already commited to reading one book at the moment, and 10 days to read 'Brick Lane'...I wouldn't do it. Will keep an eye out for the next one though. :)

Not annoyed, Code, but I do feel some sadness and regret at the pain that has been inflicted on certain members of the group by my choice of the Eyre Affair. Had I known the trauma it was going to lead to then I might have chosen more carefully. I wish I could turn back the clock and change my selection. Or better still, beam myself into the flipping book and remove all mention of the Vortex which has led to Pupster’s continued nightmares!

I have promised not to mention it again:)

Moccainuk - I have bought Gone With The Wind today - can't wait to start reading it. Have you read the sequel by Alexandra Ripley - there were mixed reviews on Amazon.

So, who's finished Brick Lane in plenty of time for the meet? I'm still only halfway though....

Well, I know Pupster has. I have 150 pages to go but am quietly confident.

I have promised not to mention it again:)

Moccainuk - I have bought Gone With The Wind today - can't wait to start reading it. Have you read the sequel by Alexandra Ripley - there were mixed reviews on Amazon.

Yeh I read Scarlett a few years back. Enjoyed it but of course it couldn't live up to the original. It was commissioned and approved by the Gone with the Wind society so they must have know what they were doing. I hope you enjoy it, am thinking it might be time that I re-read it as it's been a year now since I've visited Tara ;-)

I finished Brick Lane the other night, proud of myself for not giving up and am looking forward to the next meeting.

You should be very proud of finishing it! I've managed to finish it too - but I had too as I picked it!

Looking forward to Thursday.

Shauna

I've finished! Yesterday lunchtime, so in the moderately-serious wound of time, not just the nick.

I have taken the precaution of starting on The Book Thief straight away (although have started the daily train commute now so should have no problem).

See y'all tonight.