The Red Lion Book Club

This month's book will be The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. We will be discussing this at our next meeting which will be held on 13th February at 7.30pm in The Red Lion, Charles Street.

Being a forward-thinking bunch we have also selected a book for next month - which will be Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (that's right isn't it Pupster?)

This is a friendly reading and discussion group and newcomers are welcome. Previous books have been:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Star of the Sea by Joseph O Connor

Half of a Yellow Sun by C. Ngozi Adiche

thanks for starting the new thread. Am hopefully picking up my copy of The Eyre Affair this evening...though I just found out the Library has 4 books already waiting for me to be read. Eeeeesh.

See you all next month.

Well this is a fresh start for everyone, new year, new thread... Thanks for setting this up Ron Blanco.

I got the Eyre Affair a few days ago and it looks like a really nice read. With nothing but rain these days I think I will have a lot of time to snuggle up in the sofa with a cup of tea and a book...

Happy reading

I've just finished the book! Thought it was a really nice read. Looking forward to discussing it with you all.

I have my copy of the book but am currently rivetted by the non-fiction book "Friday Night Lights", but I will have the Eyre Affair read in time for our meeting, no doubt.

JemT's setting the pace with this one then. I've made a start and also have "Time Travelers Wife" in reserve as I missed out on that one first time.

What's "Friday Night Lights" about Code?

I've just read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". I got it for my 12-year old son but thought i'd better read it first. I was very impressed.

Friday Night Lights is a true story of a High School American Football team (which was later made into fictionalised film starring Billy Bob Thornton and a tv series). It is a year in the life of High School team that attracts about 15,000 to all its games and sometimes flies to away games on a charted 737!!

Thing is these young lads (17 and eighteen) are on local tv every week, watched by thousands of fans and treated like superstars, and then the vast majority of the rest of their lives can be an anti-climax.

The book deals with these issues and such things as inter-racial tensions in a town that is argued to be "real America" (ie in the vast state of Texas, a long way from the big cities).

I loved "Curious Incidents" it's one of my favourites. I've just got a new book called "Finding Violet Park" which is supposed to be a similar read. I'll let you know if it's any good.

I have just got the Eyre Affair and being really organised have bought Mister Pip at the same time! Only read about 30 pages but it is certainly interesting.....

Gday gang, thought I would send out an invite albeit last minute to my Australia Day celebration tomorrow (saturday 26th). I am heading down to The Walkabout for 8pm for a few Aussie bevvies and a meal, have been craving Kangaroo meat for the last couple of months. So if you feel like joining your antipodean brethren feel free to pop on down.

Mocca

PS, half way through Eyre Affair, its a really fun read.

I could have been tempted Mocca, but have an old school friend coming up from Southend tomorrow evening and have already made plans (also am competing in a chess problem solving competition on Sunday morning and a night in an Aussie pub on Australia Day might not be the ideal preparation!!).

Have started "The Eyre Affair" and am finding it a bit irritating, but I shall stick with it. Also have Mr Pip stockpiled.