How do you get a council house when they're all for priority?

:confused: i'm trying to getta council house....... i keep bidding....... but how can you bid and be successful when they're all for people with priority? me & my partner have 2 children and can't afford the £450 pcm on our 2 bed house along with everything else, but because he works the council won't make us priority?? Is it not a priority that we'll be homeless? The council is a joke

I'm at my mums at the mo thanks very much i don't have the internet at home:(

It's not that the council is a joke, it's just that they have a very limited supply of housing. As you are currently not homeless, even though you are struggling, you will not get a priority. Should you become homeless, or more importantly about to become homeless, then you should make a homeless application at Howden House. But be warned that it will be about a week between making your application and getting a full homeless assessment, so if you are going to lose your rented property, it's best to make your application while you are still there, as you do not want to be placed in B&B temporarily if you can avoid it.

You're in the same boat as most people, to be honest. If interest rates were to shoot up, and we couldn't meet the mortgage payments, we still might not be in priority need because we'd be perfectly capable of sorting ourselves out something in the private sector.

If you partner is working but it's not enough to cover the rent, then it might be worth applying for housing benefit to pay some of it.

3 or 4 years ago you wouldn't have had a problem probably, but because so much housing has been demolished and its replacement not built yet, there is an acute shortage of properties. I'd also advise that you register with some housing associations, although the rents will be higher than council.

What area do you live in, by the way?

It's not that the council is a joke, it's just that they have a very limited supply of housing. As you are currently not homeless, even though you are struggling, you will not get a priority. Should you become homeless, or more importantly about to become homeless, then you should make a homeless application at Howden House. But be warned that it will be about a week between making your application and getting a full homeless assessment, so if you are going to lose your rented property, it's best to make your application while you are still there, as you do not want to be placed in B&B temporarily if you can avoid it.

You're in the same boat as most people, to be honest. If interest rates were to shoot up, and we couldn't meet the mortgage payments, we still might not be in priority need because we'd be perfectly capable of sorting ourselves out something in the private sector.

If you partner is working but it's not enough to cover the rent, then it might be worth applying for housing benefit to pay some of it.

3 or 4 years ago you wouldn't have had a problem probably, but because so much housing has been demolished and its replacement not built yet, there is an acute shortage of properties. I'd also advise that you register with some housing associations, although the rents will be higher than council.

What area do you live in, by the way?

HI THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY IM AT BIRLEY, WILL BE GOING TO HOWDEN HOUSE TOMORROW

Try the housing associations but to be honest there are no guarantees.

Try the housing associations but to be honest there are no guarantees.

i've sent aload of applications off SYHA ect.. waiting to hear back from them. thanx

Wanting to reduce the rent you have to pay is not a valid reason for getting priority. I think if it was, most people renting privately would instantly get priority for a council house... so you still wouldn't be able to get one!

If the rent is £450 per month and you can't afford it, you should qualify for housing benefit. If you don't qualify for housing benefit, then it probably means that you can afford the rent.

Wanting to reduce the rent you have to pay is not a valid reason for getting priority. I think if it was, most people renting privately would instantly get priority for a council house... so you still wouldn't be able to get one!

If the rent is £450 per month and you can't afford it, you should qualify for housing benefit. If you don't qualify for housing benefit, then it probably means that you can afford the rent.

well how would you know what we can & can't afford?? I love how you people come on here with your..... you know what i'm not even going to finish my sentance :rolleyes:

:confused: i'm trying to getta council house....... i keep bidding....... but how can you bid and be successful when they're all for people with priority? me & my partner have 2 children and can't afford the £450 pcm on our 2 bed house along with everything else, but because he works the council won't make us priority?? Is it not a priority that we'll be homeless? The council is a joke

Yep, its even worse for a single person with no partner an no children, with hourse prices being so high it means renting which can easily take 50% of your wages before any bills/cost of living, I can understand council homes have to be given those who need them more than someone in full time work, but I dont understand when around me could be loaaaaads of homes free all over parson cross if they were not all demoloshed, all thats left is grass an weeds where they once stood.

Yep, its even worse for a single person with no partner an no children, with hourse prices being so high it means renting which can easily take 50% of your wages before any bills/cost of living, I can understand council homes have to be given those who need them more than someone in full time work, but I dont understand when around me could be loaaaaads of homes free all over parson cross if they were not all demoloshed, all thats left is grass an weeds where they once stood.

AT LAST some one on my side its so stupid!!!!!!!! more or less all the houses on the council are PRIORITY fare enough people who have a genuine reason to not be able to work, but all these job seekers cases should get a job & go on the waiting list like everyone else:cool:

How do you get a council property when you have priority?

My mum has priority as she has a 3 bed house and she wants to downsize to a 1 or 2 bed flat instead she's been bidding since April/May last year and she has got nowhere.:(