Organ Donation - Have you signed up?

Never would've thought of this kind of view point making someone opt-out, but actually makes quite a lot of sense. It sounds like you've done your bit...

Well, I've also got a few personal 'hang ups' I guess about what happens to me after I'm a 'slab of rotting flesh' as a poster so charmingly put it earlier this week. :)

I think taht if people can and want to do it it's grand and they should be proud of themselves. It's an act of great altruism that will be destroyed when it becomes an 'opt out' system - that will make altruism the expected order of the day, but that's another thread. :)

I actually enjoyed the blood donation, and would have no problems, funnily enough, about donating a kidney to a close family emmber who needed it, or a lobe of a liver, or bone marrow. It's totally inconistsent of me, I know, but there you go. :)

Yes , I am down on The Organ Donors list, and carry a card to say so.Ive also told my relatives of my request,which I think is important.

I signed up when I got my driving licence - I just ticked a box on the form. Thought it was a bit morbid :hihi:, but it was very easy...

I would never ever be a card carrying donor, family knows of my wishes, but never written on a card :nono:

If they take my useful bits out, then shove a big stick up my arse, will I become a donor kebab?

Up until a few days ago I had planned to become an organ donor but had never got round to registering for it. I'm so angry about this proposed new scheme of the state owning your body by default though, that if it goes ahead, I'd seriously consider opting out on principle.

If, as a free citizen, I'm not to be granted the most basic respect that I have default ownership of my own body, why should I help out the state? Respect is a two-way thing and this sinister, arrogant presumption is unacceptable.

Up until a few days ago I had planned to become an organ donor but had never got round to registering for it. I'm so angry about this proposed new scheme of the state owning your body by default though, that if it goes ahead, I'd seriously consider opting out on principle.

If, as a free citizen, I'm not to be granted the most basic respect that I have default ownership of my own body, why should I help out the state? Respect is a two-way thing and this sinister, arrogant presumption is unacceptable.

i do understand what you are saying honest,but put yourself in a very different situation.

1)you are in need of an urgent organ and no donor can be found,

2)you have a child in need of an organ,knowing there isnt one.

by registering on the nhs you are saving your loved ones being asked for permisson to remove an organ.

thats how i see it anyway.

how about assuming most people would donate their organs, so making those who don't wish to donate carry a card?

i disagree with atticus finch, i dont think you're helping out the state by donating your organs, you're donating to a very sick person, and seeing as your dead, it's not liek you need them anymore! thats my opinion ayway

If, as a free citizen, I'm not to be granted the most basic respect that I have default ownership of my own body, why should I help out the state?

Where to start?

Firstly, you won't be helping out the state. You'll be helping out people who will otherwise die.

Secondly, you DO have default ownership of your body as a free citizen - or even as a jailed citizen, or any other form of citizen. They don't plan to take any organs until after you die, at which point, you no longer exist and cannot be a citizen of any type, of anywhere.

how about assuming most people would donate their organs, so making those who don't wish to donate carry a card?

i disagree with atticus finch, i dont think you're helping out the state by donating your organs, you're donating to a very sick person, and seeing as your dead, it's not liek you need them anymore! thats my opinion ayway

i agree your helping someone needy out

I've just got my OH to sign up.. :D

Oddly enough, he doesn't want them to take his eyes..(his words)

No idea why..:suspect:

But they can have everything else he says.. :D..

I feel I've done my stint and to be honest being browbeaten won't make me change my mind. :)

It isn't fair to have to opt out, but if someone encourages you to join the register it's browbeating...surely you don't think the cause of organ donation should just sit very quietly in a dark orner and HOPE someone notices and might possibly, maybe, pretty please join?

I'm on the register. I registered years ago, but was also offered registration as an option with my Boots Advantage card, of all things, so decided to go for it just in case they'd forgotten me. So that's another way to do it.

I don't think of it as my body being incomplete - I'll hardly mind when I'm dead - but as part of me living on, helping others.

I'm speechless at the arguments from people who say they mean to register to save lives but haven't quite got round to it yet...but who then say they'll quickly and happily get off their bottoms to opt out of saving lives if the opt out scheme happens. Bizarre.