Organ Donation - Have you signed up?

after reading this thread i really must opt in, the thing that puts me off that when my dad died there had to be a post mortem and the thought of this after all he had been through made me cringe and was really upsetting and the thought of my family having to think of me having bits cut out i cant bare to think of them going through the same as what we went though with my dad and i know some one will come back and say how selfish when maybe something i donate could save someones life and i know that thats why i must do it but its a bit hard right now

after reading this thread i really must opt in, the thing that puts me off that when my dad died there had to be a post mortem and the thought of this after all he had been through made me cringe and was really upsetting and the thought of my family having to think of me having bits cut out i cant bare to think of them going through the same as what we went though with my dad and i know some one will come back and say how selfish when maybe something i donate could save someones life and i know that thats why i must do it but its a bit hard right now

it is a very hard decision to make,i understand your reasons,but if you can do something good when theres nothing else,maybe worth thinking about...

I did sign up, I also put myself down for bone marrow donation, only thing they don't want me, sniff. Aside from the fact that I have rheumatoid arthritis I am a perfectly healthy individual. Unfortunately the medication I am on for the RA does not allow me to donate anything, I can't even give blood. So instead what I have decided to do is to donate my body to science when I die for reseach into the long term effects of my RA medication on the body. I'm only 33 and have been on anti-TNF (immunosuppressant) treatment for 5 years. So I figured by the time I dropped dead in 50 odd years or so (fingers crossed) I might be useful for something!! The way I figure it, if someone else can benefit from me having a disease, then I have done a good thing.

I've been on the organ donor register since it was first started up, but unfortunately because of my health problems I think they would be unlikely to use any of my organs (if you were a recipient, would you want them to use organs from someone who had had cancer and lots of radiotherapy and chemo?).

They could use them for research though, perhaps. You never know it could help somebody else any maybe be a step towards preventing somebody else having to suffer what you did. If that's any consolation...

Yes I have, and I strongly believe that instead of 'opting in' to organ donation it should be assumed that organs will be donated unless we officially 'opt out'.

Some countries already do that, apparently. I think it should be adopted over here too. Many people don't register because they don't think about it or don't get round to it rather than because they don't want to. At least if it was automatic people would only need to register if they for some reason didn't want to donate.

They could use them for research though, perhaps. You never know it could help somebody else any maybe be a step towards preventing somebody else having to suffer what you did. If that's any consolation...

I agree...as said, it is what I am going to do. Additionally my mother died when she was 47 due to long term diabetes. It wasn't very well controlled I guess because understanding of the propblem was not the most fantastic in the 60's and 70's. She was told 'don't eat sugar and inject this pork insulin twice a day'. By the time better understanding of how the condition is controlled came about in the 80's, the damage had already been done. So she had all the complications associated, such as being blind, kidney failure, heart problems, diabetic neuropathy etc. At the age of 16 I managed to convince my father to allow my dead mother's organs to be sampled and studied because they may have assisted in research to help other's in the future. I would like to think that this has helped diabetes research in some small way, plus it is a way, to my thinking anyway, of letting my mother live on.

Signed up.

Theres no option to donate my willy though :(

Signed up.

Theres no option to donate my willy though :(

dont think anyone would want that:gag:

anymore to sign up,follow the link on the first page:)

I'm about to sign up now :thumbsup:

They won't be much use to me when I'm gone!