Pitsmoor in the Thirties and Forties.

The reference to Petre Street, has anyone any memories of Petre Street Cricket Club? They played on the hillside, just off Petre Street. I remember going to watch some of their games in the late forties, and they had a bowler called Hancock, who was a bit of a local hero. I think he had links to a shop just up Petre Street --in the window of this shop they used to put a sheet of paper listing the Petre Street CC team for the next match.

Anyone remember McCarthy family lived in Petre Street or thereabouts, boys Frank, Bernard and James, girl Margaret or Mary Teresa. Boys were altar boys at St.Catherines, Melrose Road in the 1930's. I have photographs which I would like to give to the family.

Anyone got any memories of the pubs on Grimesthorpe Road called the Brunswick (once known as Tommy Thompson's) and the Buckenham Arms? A chap called Ernest Makin used to be the landlord of the Buckenham Arms.

The reference to Petre Street, has anyone any memories of Petre Street Cricket Club? They played on the hillside, just off Petre Street. I remember going to watch some of their games in the late forties, and they had a bowler called Hancock, who was a bit of a local hero. I think he had links to a shop just up Petre Street --in the window of this shop they used to put a sheet of paper listing the Petre Street CC team for the next match.

Hi Redfyre- I do remember the Petre St Cricket Club and have mentioned it before (there's a thread called 'Smithies Field'.) I think the cricket pavilion was a wooden building and they served jugs of tea from an adjacent hut. There were wooden planks around the perimeter for seating.

Glen - I lived at 86 Petre St in about 1944-45. It wasn't a fish shop then, the shop part was empty. At that time the family who lived at 84 were the Fearnehoughs, the Kids were Rex and Glenda. The Leightons, however, were at 82. They had a daughter, Mona, about the same age as me. Small world, eh?

Hi I am the Glenda Fearnehough Living in Aussie,Rex lives in the Shetland Islands and Rodney lives in Townsville in Queensland.My Grandparents lived across the road in Earldom Street. WOW

Glen - I lived at 86 Petre St in about 1944-45. It wasn't a fish shop then, the shop part was empty. At that time the family who lived at 84 were the Fearnehoughs, the Kids were Rex and Glenda. The Leightons, however, were at 82. They had a daughter, Mona, about the same age as me. Small world, eh?

Sorry i forgot the other leighton was Pat.In the corner house was David Grayson.Was there a creepy lady living behind you ?Mrs Watson was her name.How can i remember you ?/ i am dying to know

Hi there, I remember Pitsmoor before the redevelopment, I lived on Sorby Street, opposite the Albion Pub next yard to Jo Lumbys ice cream maker, any one around from that neck of the woods, I remember Beryl Pass Michael Betts The Collins Famil, the Marriott Family

Hi taffy124

Do you know the whereabouts of any of the Marriotts you meantioned. Desperately trying to find any of them for family tree purposes. Thanks

Hi there, sorry had no contact with them for years and years, think (only think) they might have moved from Sorby Street to some where like Sheffield 5, they lived down the yard by John Heaths funeral directors.my grandfather lived next door to them.

Any very old participants on this thread remember a family called Wardle or perhaps Wardley who lived at the very top of Fowler St? They were some sort of dealers, in what I don't know. Their house was on the left hand side looking down Fowler, had a biggish yard and you could look into it from Pitsmoor Road. Just asking, as I've remembered somebody who was related to them, but they lived in Sussex.

Sorry i forgot the other leighton was Pat.In the corner house was David Grayson.Was there a creepy lady living behind you ?Mrs Watson was her name.How can i remember you ?/ i am dying to know

I'll bump this one up if only to get a response from Ponsonby.

Hi There do you know ponsonby? I cant remember anyone living there only the Cottons ( Fish Folk).Maybe he will answer soon.Anyone else from Petre St