Wedding dresses - all dress talk here!

Hello!

I'm after advice on a dress on a budget. I'm looking at £500 so alas, I'm going to have to avoid Blissful Daze, Emily and The White Room.

Any recommendations for where a more budget bride should try?

Have you tried any of the high street stores like Debehams, BHS or Monsoon (I seriously considered getting mine from there). They are between £100-400 and have some really beautiful dresses :love:

You could try Choola on Eccie road. I got my dress for £600 in the end of season sale (was originally £1200) It was 2 sizes too big, so I spent £150 on alterations.

You will probably catch the Autumn/winter sale as the spring collections come in.

They also have off the peg dresses up stairs starting at £400.

http://www.choola.co.uk/

Worth a look!

xxx

While browsing for dresses I came across

http://www.diydress.co.uk/wedding-apparel/wedding-dresses/

I am not sure how good they are as a trader, has anyone had any experience? Looks a little bit 'too good to be true' considering the prices!

Regardless however, there are hundreds of beautiful dresses to look at for ideas, if you are looking for inspiration.

I am finding that the bridal shops' websites (as opposed to online only retailers) rarely have a catalogue of the dresses they sell, usually it is done by collection/designer or a link to a designer's page. Presumably to encourage you to come and try some on :) So to have a massive selection to simply look at and get an idea of what you want was a useful discovery :)

I'm beginning to wonder how realistic a £500 dress is...

I echo the comments about Emily Bridal and tried on 2 dresses in there that I would wear, but the price is far from what I was thinking. That being said, I've visited Choola, The Bridal House, Blushes, New York Bride, Francesca and Berketex and not seen anything I like (that doesn't have lots of layers and a long train!) for anything less that £800.

I've even been to Meadowhall today to look in BHS, Debenhams and Monsoon. Monsoon in Meadowhall are shutting down so they have lots of dresses in at around £120. That being said, none were for me, and the department stores had 1 dress in each. I have seen one one the Monsoon website, but I'm feeling a bit disheartened unless you do get something from a highstreet store, £1000 is about right for a wedding dress?

I don't fancy ordering online - I want to see the dress and understand how it's going to fit before I pay money for it - for example, I'm finding how far down something drops from the waist makes a big difference on me and you can't guarantee it until you try it.

Can anyone say otherwise for shops in Rotherham/S.Yorks/Chesterfield?

Can anyone please tell me how long before the wedding they saw their dresses?

It was 10 weeks till my wedding yesterday, i've still not seen my dress.

I ordered it from the bridal shop in september!

They said it would arrive in jan, but then i phoned them on the 31st and they said it could be a couple more weeks as it 'might' be coming from america.

My mum phone a bit ago and they said sometime in feb now.

If anyone can tell me how long before the wedding they got their dress so i know whats normal that would be great.

Still gotta have the alterations done and stuff :-S

I'm beginning to wonder how realistic a £500 dress is...

I echo the comments about Emily Bridal and tried on 2 dresses in there that I would wear, but the price is far from what I was thinking. That being said, I've visited Choola, The Bridal House, Blushes, New York Bride, Francesca and Berketex and not seen anything I like (that doesn't have lots of layers and a long train!) for anything less that £800.

I've even been to Meadowhall today to look in BHS, Debenhams and Monsoon. Monsoon in Meadowhall are shutting down so they have lots of dresses in at around £120. That being said, none were for me, and the department stores had 1 dress in each. I have seen one one the Monsoon website, but I'm feeling a bit disheartened unless you do get something from a highstreet store, £1000 is about right for a wedding dress?

I don't fancy ordering online - I want to see the dress and understand how it's going to fit before I pay money for it - for example, I'm finding how far down something drops from the waist makes a big difference on me and you can't guarantee it until you try it.

Can anyone say otherwise for shops in Rotherham/S.Yorks/Chesterfield?

Hi Gemma,

I did a lot of searching before I found my perfect dress. On a budget of £500 you are looking at either a sample/sale dress or one from the highstreet/online. When I was hunting dresses started from £800 (made to order) and went up to £2,000-£3,000, although about a £1,000 is normal I would say. I was lucky and managed to find a sample dress never worn in the sale for £550. Your best bet is to keep looking around but have some back up ideas from which you know you can afford and get at short notice. From a wedding dress shop your looking at needing to order about 6 months before the big day at the latest, hope this helps.

is there any wedding dress makers/seamstress in sheffield i could see about making me a dress?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

has anyone been to the white house on norfolk row or emily bridal?

i have appointments at both but am worried as i am a size 14 and wonder if they have dresses that size to try on? i am self concious enough about my figure without turning up to be told they only have 8/10's

thanks

I nearly went to Emily but was put off when they said most of their samples were smaller sizes...

I got my dress for £395 from Blushes, great service and the sample fitted! Roll on August when mine will arrive!

I nearly went to Emily but was put off when they said most of their samples were smaller sizes...

I got my dress for £395 from Blushes, great service and the sample fitted! Roll on August when mine will arrive!

I have called Emily and they said all of their dresses are size 14 with some bigger sizes as well so i should be ok :)

Thanks Kat88

As it turned out after my rant of frustration, I went to Barnsley town centre and found several shops, and they had more variety than those I've come across in Sheffield. The prices were still around the same, so I was beginning to resign myself to having to pay around £1000. So I booked an appointment at Elegance Bridal, who have stunning dresses, a lot of which are quite unique and she is an exclusive supplier for a few designers, and tried on about 7 or 8 dresses. I found my dress and as it happened was an absolute bargain.

DaisyBoo - I'd say don't worry at all about sample sizes. I'm a 14 dress, 16-18 on bottom, 12-14 on top but I think there were just 2 dresses that didn't fit out of all the shops I went to and all the dresses I tried on, all the samples were about a 14.

All the shops in Sheffield and Barnsley have been very helpful and amenable, for example the advice and allowing me to try (lots of!) things on there and then without having an appointment. However, there were two shops, in Sheffield, that couldn't have cared less, despite having made an appointment. It's stories like those that make brides-to-be nervous about dress shopping, but my advice is to not worry as the majority are great, have good advice and experience, and a good range of sizes!

Thanks Kat88

As it turned out after my rant of frustration, I went to Barnsley town centre and found several shops, and they had more variety than those I've come across in Sheffield. The prices were still around the same, so I was beginning to resign myself to having to pay around £1000. So I booked an appointment at Elegance Bridal, who have stunning dresses, a lot of which are quite unique and she is an exclusive supplier for a few designers, and tried on about 7 or 8 dresses. I found my dress and as it happened was an absolute bargain.

DaisyBoo - I'd say don't worry at all about sample sizes. I'm a 14 dress, 16-18 on bottom, 12-14 on top but I think there were just 2 dresses that didn't fit out of all the shops I went to and all the dresses I tried on, all the samples were about a 14.

All the shops in Sheffield and Barnsley have been very helpful and amenable, for example the advice and allowing me to try (lots of!) things on there and then without having an appointment. However, there were two shops, in Sheffield, that couldn't have cared less, despite having made an appointment. It's stories like those that make brides-to-be nervous about dress shopping, but my advice is to not worry as the majority are great, have good advice and experience, and a good range of sizes!

which shops were they? send me a pm if you dont want to say on here :)