Can you stop onions stinging your eyes?

i heard that if you put a cold teaspoon over your tongue it stops the onion stinging. doesnt seem to work for me, i just do it for entertainment value

Yes, that's what I usually try. It certainly is entertaining when I suddenly shoot out of the back door, like a cork from a champagne bottle, and one of my neighbours is around :hihi:

stand on your head rub yer belly sing the national anthem and fart to the match of the day tune?

stand on your head rub yer belly sing the national anthem and fart to the match of the day tune?

:wow:thats by far the best cure yet... you rock:headbang:

You scruff! :shocked::gag:

If you've got contact lenses wear them. Honestly it works for me and I always end up watery and stingy if I do it wearing my specs. Since I wear my contacts most of the time our lass always asks me to cut onions for her. :)

If you run your hands under cold water when you have finished chopping the stinging stops straight away. Honestly it really works!

If you have an extractor over your oven, turn it on. (You have to be working near the fan, obviously).

Stick a desertspoon in your mouth, Upside down.

It's a little known fact that the stinging is caused by evil invisible onion elves spitting invisible onion juice in your eyes.

They are frightened of upside down spoons and won't dare go near your face if you have one in your mouth.

Hope that helps!

It's the gases/vapours that are released from the onion as you chop it up that get in your eyes and irritate them - when you're chopping onions, blow on them to disperse the vapour and it doesn't go in your eyes.

You haven't got a problem with onions, your wife caught you having a little cry didn't she? Now this is a big ruse to cover it up isn't it? Look there's nothing wrong with letting your emotions out but that's no reason for us to blame innocent vegetables now is it?

You haven't got a problem with onions, your wife caught you having a little cry didn't she? Now this is a big ruse to cover it up isn't it? Look there's nothing wrong with letting your emotions out but that's no reason for us to blame innocent vegetables now is it?

What my missus did with a cucumber the other week would make anyone's eyes water.