'I Am Legend' What does everyone think?

Saw this yesterday.

Spoilers below possibly.

So it's basically a very similar story line to 28 days later, and probably used a lot of the same techniques in making it.

You have a deserted New York and a single survivor going around doing stuff (searching for a cure) and at night the flesh eating zombies come out and he has to stay hidden away.

I liked it, I think it was well put together and I think Will Smith acted quite well, he did scared very well and he did slightly crazy very well.

What I don't get about this genre though are as follows.

1) Zombies (9% of the original population) eat human flesh.

2) 90% of the population died.

3) This left 1% alive, most of whom died very quickly from being eaten by zombies.

The film is set 3 years after the virus, so what have the zombies been living on for the past 3 years. Will Smith is the only human in NY, he's not going to feed 500,000 zombies for very long even if they could catch him. They don't seem to eat each other, why not. If Will Smith started roaring and wore rags could he blend in as another zombie and not be eaten?

And why do they get super human strength, surely a starving ill human (even if it did now want to eat you) would be no stronger than it ever was before, if not a lot weaker?

These problems are present in most of this genre, it's not specific to this film, but it's the kind of thing that bugs me...

The original film The Omega Man was a much better movie.

I've never understood why zombies HAVE to eat human flesh, not cats or dogs or anything else, I realise it's a plot device but it makes no sense, what if there arn't any humans about, do they starve to death, even though they are already dead ?

Most of them stagger around trying to eat brains,there must be midget zombies what would they be trying to eat as obviously they couldn't reach the head.

Wasnt the original story about Vampires? I thought it was about vampires...

Zombies seem to be all the rage since the Dawn of the dead series, they used to be shambling, staggering, mindless eating machines but now the fashion has evolved to super zombies, fast moving, violent athletes who... well, are still eating machines.

Like most modern horror tales, the author or director of the movie assumes the audience are popcorn nibbling morons who just go for the blood and action, it never enters their heads that intelligent people might go to see the movie too and start to think.

They're not dead in I am Legend, just turned into daylight hating zombies by a virus.

Which makes it even more likely that they'd starve once they'd eaten all the people who didn't turn into zombies... Or they'd prey on each other, which would quickly solve the problem.

Wasnt the original story about Vampires? I thought it was about vampires...

Zombies seem to be all the rage since the Dawn of the dead series, they used to be shambling, staggering, mindless eating machines but now the fashion has evolved to super zombies, fast moving, violent athletes who... well, are still eating machines.

Like most modern horror tales, the author or director of the movie assumes the audience are popcorn nibbling morons who just go for the blood and action, it never enters their heads that intelligent people might go to see the movie too and start to think.

The original was vampires yes, but having looked it up on wikipedia, there is little resemblance between this latest film and the original book.

there is little resemblance between this latest film and the original book.

Same with I Robot, perhaps it's a Will Smith thing ?

The original film The Omega Man was a much better movie.

that wasnt the original there was another i am legend film before it with vincent price i believe?

which was from the book

and yes the original was vampires, not zombies

I bet the Vincent Price film is good (or entertaining at least)

And it was actually a novel at first.

Has anyone else seen I am Legend yet?