A week's worth of rain due to fall today... worried?

i was talking to someone at the BnQ hillsborough a bout 4pm and they said that the river at the side had gone up by 3 ft today...

I worked with a salvage company which had to help with clearing out damaged stock from Hillsboro B and Q after the floods in June; it is most definitely located in a flood-prone area, as in June it was flooded up to a depth of 3 feet.

BTW, would it be a good idea for admin to resurrect the 'Sheffield Floods' Forum Section, which I noticed was seperately indicated on the home page as recently as Christmas?

As I am a regular visitor to Ireland, on account of relatives living there, the really weird thing is that at locations such as the fields up the hill from my parents' house in Co. Cork, which had normally been very boggy, have been bone-dry for upwards of a year now; local experts in many parts of Ireland have been saying that there are water shortages, you can see large amounts of yellow grass in normally very wet areas such as Galway and Limerick, and there is talk of more hosepipe bans in the coming year in Dublin (a fast growing city): the whole impression is that Ireladn and western parts of Britain have not been getting as much rain as normal, and a lot more has been falling on the Eastern side of the Pennines.

On several occasions when I visited Manchester in the last few months, it was wet on departing from Sheffield, but bone-dry or even blazing sunshine in Stockport or Manchester. Have the weather systems bunched up to the East side of the country, perhaps?

BTW, would it be a good idea for admin to resurrect the 'Sheffield Floods' Forum Section, which I noticed was seperately indicated on the home page as recently as Christmas?

Nope we'll be leaving it where it is until we need it :)

Heres an up date for around Hillsborough, Middlewood & Winn Gardens

After wrapping up and venturing out we decided to have a short tour, our findings as of the last hour are;

The river under the bridge at Penistone Rd B&Q is very rapid & is approx one foot from the top of the road bridge

The water level at the Neepsend Bridge is around 6 - 8 inch from touching the bridge

Residents at Winn have sealed themselves in, doors are sealed with plastic sheeting & sand bags.

I walked the length of the Don bordering Middlewood Park and residents have been using a wall on the opposite bank to gauge the depth by counting the courses of bricks visable , which stood at 6 early but was 10 when were there, so the river appears to have dropped, but & there always is one, the river bank has completely eroded away due to the strength current for around twenty foot in one place and is now a shear drop.

Niagra Weir is level with the bank and as Foxy said earlier is eroding the bank and is at least afoot wider , Watch this space ! it's not over yet, by no means

Thanks for that Shoesandbags,

Just seen the forecast, they say its dry tomorrow! Fingers crossed.

The water level at the Neepsend Bridge is around 6 - 8 inch from touching the bridge

That doesn't sound good. :(

I have received the following e-mail from the Emergency Planning Team, timed at 16.00hrs today (sorry for the delay in posting, but I've only just come home and read it myself!) ...

That's all right, chuck, when you're knocking on the door of your 60th birthday, you're bound to slow down a bit - especially when you're a technophone to start with :hihi:

That doesn't sound good. :(

Bearing in mind that the river peaked a while ago now and as long as it stays dry then the water level will drop eventually.

how much is a weeks worth of rain exactly?

Look it up... im sure there are tables showing you the averages for each month so work it out from there.

I have been doing, not had any luck in finding figures though, if anyone finds a link can you post it on here.

55.80 Inches is a yearly average which is 1.07 inches a week, that aint alot.