Lots of Police at house on Cobden View Road

About a year ago, a large refurbished detached house went on the market on Cobden View Road at some ridiculous price. Then it no longer seemed to be on the market and was seemingly empty for months and months with the curtains drawn (though occasionally it appeared there was a light on).

Today, there was activity in the house, a large police minibus in the drive, plus a police dogs van and a few other police cars outside.

Anyone know why? Interestingly, there was a strong smell of hash around that part of the road last week (even at 8am!). Were there squatters using it as some kind of a drugs den or something?

My Mum lives on that road and she thinks there have been squatters as there have been quite a few dodgy characters around lately. Will let you know if i find out for sure.

Wouldn't be suprised at all if it turned out to be a large scale cannabis growing operation, being run by Vietnamise. There have been many, many of the these Vietnamese operations raided in the last year or two by the local boys in blue. Seem to remember hearing a statistic on the TV/radio not far back that outside of London, South Yorkshire has the greatest number of these "growing houses".

Maybe other places have just as many, but the local plods aren't as good at sniffing them out - no pun intended!

As the end of the financial year approaches, it is common practise for SYPD to begin raiding cannabis factories in our fair city, this looks very good in the papers and what not. It is a shame and a waste of an agricultural crop, they could at least make rope out of the vast amount of cannabis they receive or sell it to fund community projects, the same amount + amount lost due to police theft will only be grown again to satisfy demand.

As the end of the financial year approaches, it is common practise for SYPD to begin raiding cannabis factories in our fair city, this looks very good in the papers and what not. It is a shame and a waste of an agricultural crop, they could at least make rope out of the vast amount of cannabis they receive or sell it to fund community projects, the same amount + amount lost due to police theft will only be grown again to satisfy demand.

That'd be a cool idea for raising revenue, except that the hemp plants used for making rope are the "non-drug" variety. It's illegal even for farmers in the UK to grow the drug version.

I used to crack up when I was at agricultural college, as it was right out in the sticks, and as the local farmer used to diversify by growing hemp so he could get an EU subsidy payment, we'd see all the new students trying to smoke the stuff....wondering why they weren't getting a hit!!!

That'd be a cool idea for raising revenue, except that the hemp plants used for making rope are the "non-drug" variety. It's illegal even for farmers in the UK to grow the drug version.

I used to crack up when I was at agricultural college, as it was right out in the sticks, and as the local farmer used to diversify by growing hemp so he could get an EU subsidy payment, we'd see all the new students trying to smoke the stuff....wondering why they weren't getting a hit!!!

I know a person whom thought that they were growing a lot of cannabis on a back garden which was not the most arable to say the least (in fact it was hemp lol - and even more bizzarely it was stolen).

I know another person whom grew some properly and I took a lot of the waste from him, it was the first time I made my own paper, and I know paper is cheap as chips, but I don't know many other people whom have made their own :)

Eli Lilly, I think it is, they sorted themselves out ;)

Thanks kempinksi

Wouldn't be suprised at all if it turned out to be a large scale cannabis growing operation, being run by Vietnamise. There have been many, many of the these Vietnamese operations raided in the last year or two by the local boys in blue. Seem to remember hearing a statistic on the TV/radio not far back that outside of London, South Yorkshire has the greatest number of these "growing houses".

Maybe other places have just as many, but the local plods aren't as good at sniffing them out - no pun intended!

same thing on our road, kept seeing vietnamese people on the rare occasion, then one sunday the road was blocked off by cops in vans and they were taking loads of plants away with mega lighting equipment. Now the house stands empty getting vandalised every night and it's been like that for two years.

It must be incredibly easy for the police to catch these people. All they have to look out for are Vietnamese people who live in a big house with high power consumption. They will also be buying huge amounts of equipment at the local hydroponics emporium and their house will stick out like a sore thumb on the police helicopter thermal imaging camera.

It's surprising that any of the crops make it to harvest.

They usually tap into the street lighting for power :)

I know after these busts the police often say that the electricity was stolen but out of interest, are the electricity suppliers allowed to report people with above average electricity use to the police? Would it not be a breach of the data protection act??