The HollyBush pub, Rivelin

Following up the photo of the Anvil Inn can anyone advise who the boys are sat on the bench outisde the pub?

the holly bush was my local in the early 60's, great little pub but had visited there many times before that and can remember going there as a littl'un with my parents. does anybody remember the roses being grown in the field opposite, im talking early 60's and i think it was a polish guy running it, wether he owned the field or rented it i dont know

Hi

My grandmother was Mabel Hope her mother was

Mary Anne Turner , Marys had a older brother George

who lived with his grandparents at the Holly bush

after their parents Fanny Elizabeth Marsden and Harvey Turner died in the 1891 flu epidenic , Mary was put into a childrens home at the age of 3 the home was in crosspool she kept in contact with her grandparents at the pub their were 3 other children Clara , John and Jessie , jessie also died aged 3 months i dont know what happened to Clara and John, so the son of the Anvil Inn manager was Harvey Turner and the daughter of The Hollins Bush Inn was Fanny Elizabeth Marsden or was it !!

the holly bush was my local in the early 60's, great little pub but had visited there many times before that and can remember going there as a littl'un with my parents. does anybody remember the roses being grown in the field opposite, im talking early 60's and i think it was a polish guy running it, wether he owned the field or rented it i dont know

IO t wa sused buy grinders in the past and was a favourite for local politicians like Blunkett and others.In RV the holly was gatheredn in by farmers as forage for cattle;RV also reputed to have tallest and straightest oaks in UK.

The Holly Bush Inn was run by my great great grandparents in the 1880's 1890's. George and Martha Marsden were the "Victuallers". My grandfather, their grandson, was one of the ostlers or stablehands looking after the horses of visitors to the pub in the 1880's 1890's. At the beginning of the 1900's my grandad moved away from The Holly Bush and I don't know what happened to Martha Marsden, who was a widow by then. We live in Sydney Australia now, and when we visited Sheffield in 1993/1994 my daughter and me walked along the Rivelin Valley Road and called in to the pub so she could see where her ancestral great great great grandparents had lived and worked. I believe the Marsdens who ran The Holly Bush then now run the Marsden's Pork Butchers, well know in Sheffield. However I do not personally know any of the Marsdens, even though they are distant cousins. It would be nice to hear from them. Joan (wife to sydneyozz)

Hi, My great, great, great grandparents were George and Martha Marsden back through the Guite, Wild amd Somerfield families so I don't know any Marsdens, either.

I live on the south coast, so next time I visit Sheffield I'll have to visit the pub.

Jen

there is no conservatory at the holly bush ! but they do great meals there ,especially

sunday lunch!

Hi, My great, great, great grandparents were George and Martha Marsden back through the Guite, Wild amd Somerfield families so I don't know any Marsdens, either.

I live on the south coast, so next time I visit Sheffield I'll have to visit the pub.

Jen

Hi Jen, just noticed your post. we share the same gt gt grandparents who ran the Holly Bush. My Great grandmother would have been your great great aunt. I have some photos of my grandfather George Marsden Turner and of the Holly Bush and more .... You may be interested in. Do you have any pics of your ancestors in Sheffield. Joan (now back in Sheffield)

Bit late but, the Polish guy was John Materna.

A bit of information courtesy of Sheffield Indexers:

Marsden, Martha (, Inns & Taverns Hollins Bush).

Residing at Stannington, in 1871.

Recorded in: Whites Sheffield & District Directory - 1871.

Hi All just to put things straight The Holly Bush was Run and owned by my Great Grandmother her maiden name was Rose  Anna Marsden she was married to Alfred Williamson they had 14 children. the licence for the hotel was under my grandmothers name which was very rare in those days to have a woman licensee. My grandmother Mabel Williamson was born in the hotel in 1905. she married Ernest Harper (the Olympic Marathon Runner). Rose anna was born 23.2.1877 her husband was born 4/6/1870.

we went to the Holly Bush for some underage drinking as we nervously approached the bar who popped up from behind it only the greatest teacher that ever lived Mr Trevor Snell (games teacher at Myers Grove)

"good evening gentlemen what will it be four pints of bitter" followed with a wink and that set the standard so every time i hear the Holly Bush i think of my best pint served by a true gent and i will raise a glass to him tonight Trevor Snell R.I.P

2 hours ago, ACE WASTE said:

we went to the Holly Bush for some underage drinking as we nervously approached the bar who popped up from behind it only the greatest teacher that ever lived Mr Trevor Snell (games teacher at Myers Grove)

"good evening gentlemen what will it be four pints of bitter" followed with a wink and that set the standard so every time i hear the Holly Bush i think of my best pint served by a true gent and i will raise a glass to him tonight Trevor Snell R.I.P

Didn't he have the Sportsman pub at Redmires for a time as well?, after he finished teaching?