Sheffield myths

Tunnel leading to the Hallamshire Hospital for wartime use - that really is a myth. The RHH wasn't built untill the late 60's and early 70's.

But, talking of myths about the RHH......One of the lift shafts was supposed to have been built so badly out of alignment that the first time the lift went up it got jammed, and is still stuck there today.

The shafts were out of plumb got that from a guy who installed them but the bit about a stuck lift is a myth.

ive heard a myth that the owls r going back up.:loopy::loopy::loopy:

Thats a daydream.

Myth 1: that compared with e.g. Leeds and Manchester, Sheffield is much more friendly.

I grew up in Leeds and was a student in Manchester, and Sheffield is by far the least friendly. Everyone ignores everyone, the white people are mostly completely racist, if you are gay (I'm not, but a friend of mine who came to visit is), people literally hurl abuse at you in the street, if you are from Leeds, people don't want to talk to you, compared with Leeds and Manchester the general atmosphere is small-town, closed off and parochial and a bit like going back in time 40 years.

Myth 2: that Sheffield is much cheaper than most other cities.

1 bed flats are much cheaper in Leeds and Manchester where you can EASILY find a nice flat in a really nice area for 350-400 pcm, in Sheffield a tiny studio in Broomhill or even Nether Edge starts at 450 pcm or even 500 pcm, not even including bills.

Edited by Wezzle

Myth 1: that compared with e.g. Leeds and Manchester, Sheffield is much more friendly.

I grew up in Leeds and was a student in Manchester, and Sheffield is by far the least friendly. Everyone ignores everyone, the white people are mostly completely racist, if you are gay (I'm not, but a friend of mine who came to visit is), people literally hurl abuse at you in the street, if you are from Leeds, people don't want to talk to you, compared with Leeds and Manchester the general atmosphere is small-town, closed off and parochial and a bit like going back in time 40 years.

1 bed flats are much cheaper in Leeds and Manchester where you can EASILY find a nice flat in a really nice area for 350-400 pcm, in Sheffield a tiny studio in Broomhill or even Nether Edge starts at 450 pcm or even 500 pcm, not even including bills.

Go back to leeds then matey:|

Myth 2 makes myth 1 seem unlikely. I wouldn't say Sheffield is any friendlier than the other places, or the other way around. They are just places with people, but people all have different experiences of those places which will make you form an opinion.

Ten most friendly cities

1. Southampton

2. Norwich

3. Exeter

4. Brighton

5. Plymouth

6. York

7. Oxford

8. Nottingham

9. Derby

10. Portsmouth

Ten least friendly cities

1. London

2. Glasgow

3. Bradford

4. Birmingham

5. Liverpool

6. Manchester

7. Aberdeen

8. Wolverhampton

9. Belfast

10. Leeds

... Apparently (commissioned by hotel chain Jurys Inn for British Tourism Week).

I love myths, does anyone have any myths on/about sheffield???

There is a myth going the rounds that the remains of a bloody medieval castle are under the Castle Market ,one bloke has even come up with a photo of this castle took in 1597, and to top it all they have hung it up in the Town Hall.

There's also a myth that photography was first invented in Sheffield during the 16th century :hihi:

I heard a rumour that anybody who lives South of the town centre is not a proper Sheffielder because they try to talk all posh for some reason

Sorry but how have you possibly come to that conclusion? Would you care to tell us what happened or do you generally go around tarring everybody with the same brush?

Myth- Sheffield man,John hill(maker of brilliant film- 7/7 ripple effect) claimed to be christ.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8124540.stm

I have searched his website and nowhere can i find him even suggesting he thinks he's the messiah.(notice how BBC can't either in above link)

This is TRUE! Go back to the Sheffield Star archives in 1988 and you will find it splashed all over the paper at the time. He allegedly threatened to sue the British government if they didn't accept that he was the son of God and went on hunger strike for a while.

As all good "Muzzle Club" fans will remember (are there any?), they did a song about him at the time :hihi:

The flats may be cheaper there than here in Sheffield, but the downside is that you have to live in places like l**ds or manch**ter... ;)

as for "not talking to folk", and "hurling abuse", that's rubbish.

As a sideline, EVERY time I go to Manchester someone wants to start a fight with me. Sometimes its car driver or a motor cyclist or just some bloke. Don't have that problem in Sheffield or Leeds.

Don't know any myths about Sheffield, does the peak district count ? Failing that, what about the body bags at meadowhall << gets coat >> ;)