Sheffield myths

We definitely haven't got one!

You would say that though wouldn't you!

We definitely haven't got one!

You see it's so secret that even the Fire & Rescue Service don't know anything about it. ;):hihi:

Here's some kind of ghost story I heard from when i used to work at Meadowhall.

One that a security guard told me:

It was his first night on the job and he was given a tour of the building by the head of security, taken down all the corridors etc etc. They came to one corridor and he was told "don't worry mate but just never go down this one"

He wasn't given a reason why.

As young men obviously do, he decided to go and investigate that evening. He came to the corridor and heard a faint murmuring in the distance. He headed further down and gradually realised he could hear a child crying.

Suspecting something was either extremely amiss with his boss or he was being played a trick on he headed down the corridor until he came just a small distance away from the back of the Disney store.

He swore to me that he saw a small girl, crying with a teddy in her arms.

He radioed his boss and the boss told him to get the hell out of there. When he got back, he was told that this was a common occurence and everybody just avoids that area of Meadowhall.

I don't believe in ghosts or anything but as a 19 year old I thought this story was pretty awesome!

Jesus! Is that poor girl still stuck down that corridor?!

Every time she asks a security guard to help her get out, they run a mile

:hihi:

Spence Broughtons body was hung in a gibbet on Attercliffe Common

Before the gibbeting, Broughton hid treasure in the attic of one of the terraced houses and to the present day his poltergeist searches for the treasure.

Here's some kind of ghost story I heard from when i used to work at Meadowhall.

One that a security guard told me:

It was his first night on the job and he was given a tour of the building by the head of security, taken down all the corridors etc etc. They came to one corridor and he was told "don't worry mate but just never go down this one"

He wasn't given a reason why.

As young men obviously do, he decided to go and investigate that evening. He came to the corridor and heard a faint murmuring in the distance. He headed further down and gradually realised he could hear a child crying.

Suspecting something was either extremely amiss with his boss or he was being played a trick on he headed down the corridor until he came just a small distance away from the back of the Disney store.

He radioed his boss and the boss told him to get the hell out of there. When he got back, he was told that this was a common occurence and everybody just avoids that area of Meadowhall.

I don't believe in ghosts or anything but as a 19 year old I thought this story was pretty awesome!

I can 100% say that this is false.

however.....the fire doors next to millies cookies near debenhams.

the firedoor next to lakeland

on the plant level above kumoi travel

the management suite, but this area will be part of the new restaurants on the upper oasis mezz.

are all places where i have experienced spooky happenings.

Here's one;

FACT OR FICTION:

Before the Sheffield Parkway was a dual carriageway it had two single lanes, which at one point near Handsworth diverted around something, seporating the two lanes (similar to the old farm on the M62).

Apparently this 'something' was a private swimming pool hidden in the woods that NUM officials used. They pressured the then super left council to divert the road so they could bathe in private.

Sound rediculous, is this nonsense or not?

The 'swimming pool' had gone years before they built the parkway(When I was about 7) we used to play in those woods and would have seen if it were still there. have seen photo's of it since mind, but it had long gone by 1970/71

ive heard a myth that the owls r going back up.:loopy::loopy::loopy:

One myth for you

MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS WAS A PRISONER IN SHEFFIELD CASTLE & MANOR.

In fact Mary requested to be place in protective custody for she feared for her life. She then moans about it for the rest of her days.

SHEFFIELD MANOR OR LODGE was rebuilt as a Royal Palace for her. The only building in England built to house Mary Stuart.

She was also a big snob and would not walk down any tunnel to save her life.

She used to worship at Sheffield Cathedral....near the front...there is a pillar which has a bricked up window....she would be secretly hidden there...and from this vantage point she could see the service....but other people could not see her.

As a child I was fascinated by the fact Sheffield had its own Red Indian as told me by my mother.

In 2001 I had 3 weeks touring the USA and incorporated a trip to Montana with a view to visiting the Beuchal Museum on the Rosebud Reservation to find out more. Unfortunately, my trip meant me arriving on a Sunday but at least I got to see the Rosebud Indian Reservation where Paul Eagle Star was buried after being exhumed from Brompton cemetery.

Paul Eagle Star was injured when his horse fell from under him on 14 August 1891 - a compound dislocation of the ankle. He was taken to the Infirmary but after 8 days lockjaw set in. His leg was amputated on Saturday night 22 August. Although considered to be a successful operation Paul Eagle Star died in agony in the early hours of Monday 24 August 1891.

An inquest was held early morning Tuesday 25 August and death by accident was recorded. The body was put into a coffin and taken to Sheffield station and loaded on a train to London. A stop was made in Nottingham where the show was performing and several Indians were elected to attend the funeral in the care of Major Johnny Burke, general manager of the show.

A carriage with 4 black plumed horses met the train at St Pancras station, London and the body was taken to Brompton cemetery. It was the last internment of the day and being a common grave without a marker his final resting place was forgotten.

Staff at Sheffield Libraries in 1977 were an invaluable spur to discoveries and providing links to finding Paul’s family.

Philip James (a Sheffielder I think) felt strongly that Paul should be returned to his family so in August 1977 contact was made with the Eagle Star family (remaining grandchildren Moses Eagle Star and Lucy Eagle Star).

It took a year and a half to get the permissions and do documentation that is required for exhumation and reburial. Finally Paul’s remains were exhumed end of March 1999 from Brompton Cemetary. 108 years had passed since his death and Paul’s skeleton was virtually complete. They were prepared for a traditional reburial by the grave side in Brompton. The coffin was transported to Dakota accompanied by Philip James.

The reburial took plance on 31 May 1999 on what is now the Rosebud Reservation. There were prayers and singers. The honorary title of Chief was used as his pedigree and name were recalled.

Phillip James was honoured by the Eagle Star family by the presentation of the Star Quilt which had been wrapped around Paul’s coffin on its journey to the grave site.

Many names were called during the honouring ceremonies of those who had provided assistance to brining home Paul’s body and Sheffielders were remembered once again through their attachment to ‘Sheffield’s own Indian’.

(taken from Sheffield’s Own Indian by Phillip James)

FACT OR FICTION ????????????????????????

It is said that there are a mutitude of tunnels which go underneath the cholera grounds, all around Sheffield. The cholera grounds stand on a huge hill looking down on the site of the old Granville college Northside. As a child, I would play in them grounds, but never found the "tunnels"........ Were they real ????????????????????????