Sheffield myths

The HSBC bank at Tankersley is in actual fact a nuclear bunker.

I had a look round once when working for them. The computers underground are protected. The walls at ground level are angled to deflect the blast upwards. The staff who mainly work above ground would be wiped out.

The HSBC bank at Tankersley is in actual fact a nuclear bunker.

No it was built to survive a Nuclear blast as it contains a great deal of HBSC's UK and possibly the worlds banking information and records.

I had a look round once when working for them. The computers underground are protected. The walls at ground level are angled to deflect the blast upwards. The staff who mainly work above ground would be wiped out.

LOL. Just lol. If we all get wiped out in a nuclear holocaust I think its safe to say that all our loans and credit card debts can be written off. :roll:

No it was built to survive a Nuclear blast as it contains a great deal of HBSC's UK and possibly the worlds banking information and records.

Bull, Its for the filthy rich. I personally have seen the lorry loads of food going in there and the only workers on ground level are the gardner and security.

Bull, Its for the filthy rich. I personally have seen the lorry loads of food going in there and the only workers on ground level are the gardner and security.

Shut up you clown.

LOL. Just lol. If we all get wiped out in a nuclear holocaust I think its safe to say that all our loans and credit card debts can be written off. :roll:

Why the rolly eyes?

I have also worked in there and can tell you that what's been stated is true, its also the South Yorkshire National Data Centre. The mainframe computers were also protected by chutes that are automatically triggered and dumped halon? gas if a fire broke out. It was also designed to be blast proof.

Quote:

"The data centre was completed in 1981 at a cost of £40 million. It was designed in two halves each mirroring the other to provide complete 24 hour a day by 365 day a year operation with full contingency against system problems."

Why the rolly eyes?

I have also worked in there and can tell you that what's been stated is true, its also the South Yorkshire National Data Centre. The mainframe computers were also protected by chutes that are automatically triggered and dumped halon? gas if a fire broke out. It was also designed to be blast proof.

Quote:

"The data centre was completed in 1981 at a cost of £40 million. It was designed in two halves each mirroring the other to provide complete 24 hour a day by 365 day a year operation with full contingency against system problems."

Bull, Its a known fact that its just a bomb shelter and the only computer they have is a sinclair zx 81 with a 16k expansion pack (i know cos i put the plug on it).

All the people that work there only maintain the zx81 and eat all the food that comes in huge lorries ( funny though, they seem to get a lot of deliveries of YE OLDE HOT DOG SAUSAGES.

Very interesting thread hope to read more different myths

In days gone by, the criminals and deviants of normal sex in Sheffield were cast out of society and sent to a place to be cleansed, known as the bowl hill. The surrounding area became known as Crookes.

Perfectly true, apparently.

Anyone else remember the 'myth' that the In the 60's the government hid a number of steam engines in the blocked up Woodhead tunnel instead of scrapping them, presumably (If it were true) to be used in the event of oil running out or a nuclear war rendering useless anything powered by electricity.

I was hoping someone could send me or tell me weather or not they got scared into not doing something for the fear of Obe Dyer coming to get them?

It was a fear that went through our family as kids, but I just wanted to know weather or not it was part of Sheffields Myths & Ghost Stories.

Any help would gratefully be received.

Sincerely James

Anyone else remember the 'myth' that the In the 60's the government hid a number of steam engines in the blocked up Woodhead tunnel instead of scrapping them, presumably (If it were true) to be used in the event of oil running out or a nuclear war rendering useless anything powered by electricity.

If it was true they could give them to Northern Rail :hihi: