Sheffield myths

It was the troll that was posting last night that did it... making me look at posts in a negative way (well done Sibon for getting rid of it)..

and welcome bladesboy80- promise not to presume again.

i heard medowhall was built to be a prison but 4 sumreason its a shopping centre

thats true, I've seen them, rubbish vortexes.

My Nan used to live at number 3 Hyde Park Walk, opposite the little park, her balcony faced it.

As a child I once saw a tornado touch ground beyond the little park and got all excited about it, told me nan who reported it to someone or other (possibly the council), who sent a lady out to investigate.

The investigator was doubtful until I found the little drill hole it had made in the ground, the adults being a lot taller could already see from the pattern of the grass that I had found it's centre, I had to climb the arched climbing frame to see the crop circle type effect it had on the grass.

when they installed the lifts at hallamshire hospital they tested one lift to go to the top but it got stuck due to the shaft not being levelled upright and too small the lift is still there stuck today.

thats why there is always one lift not working there

biggest myth is its a peaceful city with never ever any murders, well they tell us less than leeds mcr and nottingham ha ha joke

when they installed the lifts at hallamshire hospital they tested one lift to go to the top but it got stuck due to the shaft not being levelled upright and too small the lift is still there stuck today.

thats why there is always one lift not working there

Rubbish, a definite myth.

biggest myth is its a peaceful city with never ever any murders, well they tell us less than leeds mcr and nottingham ha ha joke

Got any stats to back-up your claim by any chance?

Couldn't agree more- worked here for years and used to work on top floor- this is complete nonsense.

Actually the story that there is a lift stuck is an exaggeration, but the first part is true. The made a bit of a mess of the RHH lift shafts and had to do remedial work to get them working afterwards.

Great thread.

My b/f used to go to Notre Dame school and there used to be a myth that there used to be an underground tunnel that ran from there to the Catholic Cathedral on Norfolk Row.

St Mary's Gate - this could be true. The walkways within the church grounds are paved with very old headstones. The graveyard may well have extended further than its current boundaries prior to the dual carriage way being built

Spring Heeled Jack - a fair few references to him all over Sheffield. There is an image of him on the exterior of the Old Queens Head.

I'm pretty sure this one's NOT a myth, but can anyone give more info? or better yet link to video footage?

-Airliner emergency landing on M1 or M18 motorway stretch, I think I heard it was a Lufthansa or KLM. Can't find any info on Google but I may be using wrong keywords to search.

I'm pretty sure this one's NOT a myth, but can anyone give more info? or better yet link to video footage?

-Airliner emergency landing on M1 or M18 motorway stretch, I think I heard it was a Lufthansa or KLM. Can't find any info on Google but I may be using wrong keywords to search.

A light aircraft made an emergency landing beside the M18 in 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5283820.stm