Sheffield myths

Another bout Meadowhall:

There was an attempted kidnapping of a little girl; a security guard on the CCTV noticed that a child matching the description was being taken into the ladies loos. When they got in there they saw hair in the bin and the little girl with short hair and dressed in boys' clothes and caught the kidnapper red-handed. Or the security guard lets the woman and her "son" leave and the hair isn't discovered until it's too late. Then for some reason it was all covered up.

I've had people *argue* with me about the veracity of that one! :roll: It's a pretty common urban legend told worldwide.

Oh and the grateful Asian man with the warning used to be Irish in the 90s! :hihi:

must be a few of these wallet things with asian men in meadowhall,

heard the same thing from someone else last year.

I'd avoid it on February 30th 2008 too if I was you!;)

Sorry.but it is utter urban myth.Where would they store all those bags?Every bit of space is used to its fullest for rental profit.

Plans are in place for major incidents but these don't include civilians offering mortuary services.

No thats true 100% Theres been a threat every year atleast or a bomb scare so they keep body bags there.The security told my girlfriends mom when she saw some in the back.

Wednesday are a sleeping giant.

I can live with the sleeping bit; does that make it half a myth? :D

The bodybag thing is absolutely true. When i used to work at the Hallamshire we helped develop 'serious incident' strategies with security advisors at Meadowhall. They have hundreds of bodybags. Fact.

That Ranmoor (Univ of Shef) halls of residence was built based on the design of a Swedish women's prison.

The Sheffield University Arts Tower was only built to last 10 / 20 / 30 years (and presumably collapse on to Bolsover / Winter Street the next day).

Ah I'd forgotten the Arts Tower myths...

• That no fire engines in South Yorkshire are tall enough to put out a fire in there
  • That it's sinking by an inch a year
  • That the architecture students got the top floor because they are architects and must thus take the blame for the place!

apparantly the road that run under the "outibridge" - devil's bridge is the Stocksbridge Bypass which is rumoured to be haunted and spooks out drivers - plus has had many an accident on there!!

I read about the Stocksbridge Bypass being haunted in one of them crap books that are always on sale in cheap bookshops.

How come no-one's mentioned the ghost that apparently lives in the cellar or next to the toilet of the Carbrook Hall?

Do your history swine cottage was on the site of your ground

This is true, Swine Cottage is listed on old maps. It was the site of a small piggery. But was not on the site where Hillsboro is now, but close.

I read about the Stocksbridge Bypass being haunted in one of them crap books that are always on sale in cheap bookshops.

How come no-one's mentioned the ghost that apparently lives in the cellar or next to the toilet of the Carbrook Hall?

Carbrook hall is reported to have at least 3 ghosts which are well documented over a long period of time.

This is true, Swine Cottage is listed on old maps. It was the site of a small piggery. But was not on the site where Hillsboro is now, but close.

Actually, thats the urban myth.

There is no Swine Cottage listen on any old maps.

Its made up by the blades :-)

Ah I'd forgotten the Arts Tower myths...

• That no fire engines in South Yorkshire are tall enough to put out a fire in there
  • That it's sinking by an inch a year
  • That the architecture students got the top floor because they are architects and must thus take the blame for the place!

...and if you go "over the top" in the paternoster, it turns you upside down.