Degaussing a television

Just a thought, but you haven't recently put something with an electric field such as speakers near your tv have you? That may be the cause.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I appreciate you all taking the time out to comment/ advise me.

no, ricon, I have always been very careful to ensure that hi-fi loudspeakers etc have not been put near the TV. the only electrical items near the tv are the set-top box for my cable, a VCR and a table lamp.

Many, many years ago, I made the mistake of putting speakers beside the TV. The purples and greens it generated were very pretty, I have to say:- But as pretty as they were, they did nothing to enhance my viewing :lol:

I am wondering if there is a problem with the TV's own loudspeaker, perhaps? (it's a stereo tv, and the mark on the screen is about halfway up the screen on the left hand side about 4 inches in from the left hand edge) probably just-about where the left-hand speaker is, in the cabinet. It's not just a new thing that's happened, it keeps on appearing, and it's always in exactly the same place.

Can the magnetism from the telly's own speaker "Leak"? (or would the manufacturers encase the speaker in something, when it is made, to shield the screen? sorry I'm not au fait with TV manufacture, you see!)

I also (trying to be a bit on the "green" side) do not, ever, leave the TV on "standby" when I switch it off for the night. I always turn it off properly.

I will try the "Unplugging" thing/ wiping the screen things that Jason and Medusa have suggested.

I hope to goodness it's not something that will require the TV to be "junked" or will be uneconomical/ pintless to have repaired.