Anybody Geocache on here?

We do a bit now and then. First couple we did we managed to do without gps but then decided to invest in a basic gps. Bit geeky but good fun.

I tried it a few weeks ago.....by putting the co-ordinates into Google Earth and then printing off an ariel view. The clue on geocacheing website said under the root of a tree.

Never found it.....just came home covered in mud and with a cut hand dripping blood.

It is a very popular pastime though, and gives a purpose to going out and getting some exercise. Many of my camping friends are in to it bigtime, to the point of asking for our meets to be in areas with lots of caches.

I'm still resisting the temptation to buy a GPS....:)

This caper makes trainspotting look interesting. Is it for real??:huh: Do people actually Do this ?? It's certainly true about needing to get out more.

Is a special anorak [with a health warning] required ???

Shame all the old assylums were closed, they could hold meetings.:help:

Lol at Nimrod.:hihi:

I'm not into it either, but had to give it a try to see what all the fuss was about, after reading about it.

Apparently people place cahes such as a small plastic fireman, and he wants to visit fire stations and have his picture taken at each, and the pic posted on the geocaching website. Others want to be taken up mountains, visit the entire coastline of England, or visit campsites.

Others are just there to be found and a log filled in to say I found it,lol.

Still resisting buying a gps............

Lol at Nimrod.:hihi:

I'm not into it either, but had to give it a try to see what all the fuss was about, after reading about it.

Apparently people place cahes such as a small plastic fireman, and he wants to visit fire stations and have his picture taken at each, and the pic posted on the geocaching website. Others want to be taken up mountains, visit the entire coastline of England, or visit campsites.

Others are just there to be found and a log filled in to say I found it,lol.

Still resisting buying a gps............

got a secondhand gps for sale if interested??!!:hihi:

You're confusing the actual geocaches with travel bugs (ie the fireman you refer to, but they can be anything, a coin, toy, anything really). People place the travel bugs in the geocaches, and other cachers pick up the travel bug and deposit it in a different geocache somewhere else. Each 'bug' has a unique reference code and so you can see its progress on the website.

Sorry for dragging this thread out of the depths of the archice, but, just recently got into this sport/hobby/interest (delete where appropriate) and am finding it enjoyable, it is amazing how many caches are dotted around without being aware of them.

Also recently discovered. There's are various Iphone apps now dedicated to it too!

Just started Geocaching, found 2 in Sherwood forest, one in Lynwood gardens is it? Nr Hallamshire...?? And 5 today! 4 of them were in/around Graves Park and the other near Boots at Drakehouse Retail Park.. loving it! Anyone know of any other places we can take our little kids out for the day in or around Sheffield with lots of caches to discover? x

I stumbled upon this caper recently. It's a bit of a laugh / challenge whilst out on a walk. Plenty around us here in Sheffield, just use the Google Map option on geocaching.com and they show up.

I remember being taken on 'terasure hunts' in cars around debyshire, where someone would give you a few pages of clues and you would have to drive around finding the answers. this is a sort of high tech version of that. Very satisfying when you find it though.

Might even set one myself.

I tried it a few weeks ago.....by putting the co-ordinates into Google Earth and then printing off an ariel view. The clue on geocacheing website said under the root of a tree.

Never found it.....just came home covered in mud and with a cut hand dripping blood.

It is a very popular pastime though, and gives a purpose to going out and getting some exercise. Many of my camping friends are in to it bigtime, to the point of asking for our meets to be in areas with lots of caches.

I'm still resisting the temptation to buy a GPS....:)

I went to this one today.... I have come home with a dislocated ankle and covered from head to foot in wasp stings.

Found it though ;)

Yeah! me and my dad do it a lot. I'm the Gmf and he's Yorkshire blade.