A few thoughts on the group

I have followed this thread with some interest, The Sheffield Forum Writers Group is a small, friendly and free critique group devoted to the purpose of helping writers to refine and polish their writing skills through group interaction and critiquing.

If someone does not wish to have their work critiqued they can simply state that on their original post or, if they want, send me a personal message and I’ll lock the thread, but to do so would defeat the object of the group.

I have posted a sticky entitled Writers Group guidelines & etiquette. which should address most of the issues raised in this thread, and I’m always receptive to comments and new ideas concerning the group.

I may as well have my say,and what i find frustrating is that there are 100+ members and less than a handful of regular contributors and even less poll voters, where are the rest?.

It's like (dogging) on a writers forum,( Don't ask P) plenty looking in from outside the window to view the action and not enough doing it, not that i have done the latter,well anyway .

To me if your part of a group then contribute don't leave it all to a minority as that's what it feels like, it's the same people myself included that contribute enough said .

So what’s this all about Shoeshine? Are you serious or in jest? Or am I just missing something.

If you are serious then I can’t believe that what has been written on this tread and others has brought you to this drastic decision, I suspect there may be something deeper.

Whatever the reason I beg you to reconsider; I may be looking at this in a purely selfish way when I say “we need you”.

As Red said;

“But if you aren't a WG password holder, you won't be able to read any of the contributions, and give folk feedback. And your feedback is, believe me shoeshine, invaluable”

So keep the password and if you feel that way incline take a back seat for now, giving the odd contribution and keeping up the feedback, do me this little favour Shoeshine.

As for me, you may have noticed my contributions have dropped, that’s not because I’m becoming indifferent, I still have the buzz more so than ever, but apart from the fact I’m really busy at work, I have looked back on my work over the year and can’t help thinking I could have done better, I’m just a slow writer, The monthly comp was a great idea but I hardly got time to finish them.

I’m working on one at the minute, well it’s a joint concern with me and Falls (Oops! Did I forget to tell you Falls?) It will be an interesting Venture, a simple Wybourn lad teams up with a globetrotting entrepreneur, yes! your right it could be a recipe for disaster, we will see.

Now I agree with Mantaspook. Its a small select group, who enjoy what they are doing. If people dont want to join in, so what ?For instance I prefer reading the stories instead of writing, but no one can see me reading them, but I do.

For instance I prefer reading the stories instead of writing, but no one can see me reading them, but I do.

:o;)

pattricia, you little minx! :o:hihi:

It will be an interesting Venture, a simple Wybourn lad teams up with a globetrotting entrepreneur, yes!

I never knew you were a globetrotter coyleys! ;):hihi:

It's like (dogging) on a writers forum

I'm going to try and use this analogy in day to day conversation:)

Writers learn from reading.

If I may quote the words of our all knowing leader….

“There is no substitute for writing, simply reading books to make you a better writer is like hoping you’ll have a six pack after reading a book about exercise.”

But it helps.

Yes, I agree with this.

Indeed we do, one of the best books I have ever read is Survive the savage sea by Dougal Robertson which is now used across the world in many schools as part of their literature curriculum.

I’d highly recommend anyone to read this book, the authors writing style is awesome and if you analyse how he does it you’d learn a lot about writing.