What are they building in the bus station

It would be OK if you were still allowed to park in the multi-storey for free for 1 hour to pick someone up. But that's been stopped now so all traffic has to sit in the gridlock caused by the taxis who seem to think that being 4 feet closer to the front of the rank and blocking the whole area is going to get their next fare quicker. And then when you get to the pick up area there's what, 8 spaces? and then people turn into the undercover loopy bit and stop immediately rather than pull forward. And you can't get round them because it's been built too narrow. Best bet is to just pull up and park on the pavement at the entrance to the multistorey, it's plenty wide enough and you don't get involved in the jam.

Nice surroundings or not, being able to access the station is key to the experience of visitors to the city. Currently it's a joke that leaves a very bad impression with visitors (and locals).

I disagree.

I think all the cranes make for a beautiful sight.

A sure sign of future prosperity!

(awaits a flaming!)

You're awaiting a flaming because you know you're talking a load of b****cks about cranes making a beautiful site and as for a 'sure sign of future prosperity', where are all the permanent jobs being created by these developments, other than for people like yourselves (estate agents?) to make a quick buck from.

I actually quite like cranes. They move about and are a darn site more attractive than some of the other sights on the Sheffield skyline.

And I guess the permanent jobs come when the buildings are finished and businesses move in (assuming they won't sit empty for years).

You're awaiting a flaming because you know you're talking a load of b****cks about cranes making a beautiful site and as for a 'sure sign of future prosperity', where are all the permanent jobs being created by these developments, other than for people like yourselves (estate agents?) to make a quick buck from.

I think you need to be more positive.

Have you not read the ongoing reports about Sheffield becoming more and more desirable to large companies?

There are LOTS of grade-A offices being built around the city, as well as hotels etc.

Sheffield is rapidly creating more of a 'pull' for investment and i think within 2 or so years the city will really reap the rewards.

Do you honestly believe companies would invest in constructing these developments if they didn't think the demans was there?

You seem somewhat resentful of this city. Maybe it's time to look at your own failings instead of blaming others.

:loopy:

I am surprised that anyone could call it a mess. We are living through one of the most iconic moments in the history of sheffield as all the awful cheap post war buildings are replaced by much higher quality buildings which make much better use of the space in the city. The shopping for the first time will be in a proper "centre" instead of spread out along an impossible 2 mile stretch from moorfoot to the wicker.

The other point is that the apx. 29 tower cranes and construction you can see in the city at the moment is just a flavour of what is about to happen. When they get cracking with the Moor, Chesham house, the New retail Quarter(Sevenstone) and the West Bar development, then sheffield will feel like Dubai, with at least 3 times the amount of cranes we have today.

You're embarrassing yourself muddycoffee by some of your comments here.

Sheffield going through an iconic moment would be :hihi: if it wasn't so stupid. I can't think of a city where the word 'iconic' has been more overused and therefore much undervalued and simply rarely implemented.

Turning Sheffield into Dubai? Not my idea of a nice place to be. Didn't you know that what looks impressive under a scorching desert sun can look absolutely dreadful on a wet, miserable winters day in England?:gag:

I think you should stick to what you do relatively well (road movies) and leave the planning and aesthetic design of the city to those who know what they're talking about.

and leave the planning and aesthetic design of the city to those who know what they're talking about.

That certainly wouldn't be you then.

:hihi:

You're awaiting a flaming because you know you're talking a load of b****cks about cranes making a beautiful site
You forgot to add 'in your opinion'. I too think cranes add something to a city centre skyline.

I actually quite like cranes. They move about and are a darn site more attractive than some of the other sights on the Sheffield skyline.

Wouldn't disagree with you there!:thumbsup:

And I guess the permanent jobs come when the buildings are finished and businesses move in (assuming they won't sit empty for years).

Yes. There are a few offices planned but the vast majority are still for flats, (mainly for students) the majority of the rest remain empty for long periods.

ok i take the mess remark back be nice to see it when it all done

That's what they always said....

"Sheffield, it'll be nice when it's finished"

Maybe SCC should adopt it as their slogan?

I think you need to be more positive.

Have you not read the ongoing reports about Sheffield becoming more and more desirable to large companies?

There are LOTS of grade-A offices being built around the city, as well as hotels etc.

Sheffield is rapidly creating more of a 'pull' for investment and i think within 2 or so years the city will really reap the rewards.

Do you honestly believe companies would invest in constructing these developments if they didn't think the demans was there?

You seem somewhat resentful of this city. Maybe it's time to look at your own failings instead of blaming others.

:loopy:

Have you not read reports that there is to be a sharp economic downturn in 2008.

Other than the office block planned for the former site of Office World on Eyre Street can you tell me about any other grade A private office development for private corporations that are definately going ahead in 2008?

That certainly wouldn't be you then.

:hihi:

You haven't seen my plans for the future of the city so obviously you're not in a position to comment on whether they are better than the mess we have at the moment.:P

Without a shadow of a doubt I can assure you they are.;)

All we need now is something iconic outside the train station where the old office blocks were demolished.

According to the Digital Campus website the third phase of their development will occupy the messy space next to the station.