Looking For Friends Who Went To Myers Grove In The 70's

Can we organise a get together for all who went to myers grove between 67-72

let me know

Ajax - have you logged onto the Friends Reunited website.? There is a whole section on there about Myers Grove - pictures, memories etc.

Costs £5 to join, but that is for twelve months.

There was a reunion last year for all those who left in 1970 - it was at the new Hotel down by the Canal Wharf. Unfortunalty at the last minute I found I could not go, but apparanantly it was well attended

visited friends united site , not really much about 1972/3 (photo's i mean).

i can remember a girl called susan from my days at myers, she lived just off meadow street , there was a small jennel down the side of the meadow street hotel leading to st phillips road , they used to live in the last house on the left , can never remember her surname.used to be down that area every weekend but 1972 came and sadly i left myers, they were rehoused due to compulsory purchase and we lost touch , never seen or been in contact since.

:D I lived opposite the lane you are talking of, and it led to Hoyle Street, I wonder if the girl you are thinking of was from the Bains family?

I used to knock around with Alec Bains and he taught me to smoke.

I think he had a sister called Susan and one called Mary. they lived in the first house at the end of the lane if I remember right, at the bottom of the lane down past the Meadow was a meatal bollard to stop cars going down, and in the yard adjacent in the top corner was Mr Rycroft who owned a very old car, a little like a model t ford. hope this brings back memories.

:hihi:

I went there between 1979-1984. Had the old codger Wardle for RE one year. Do they still teach RE? Its not politically correct in North America.

Originally posted by docmel

GJ2004 -

Good god - I remember Miss Smith!! - yes, for a secondary school teacher she was young - long blonde hair if I remember. The rumours we heard was that she was found with an Upper Sixth former in one of the Art Class cupboards -I guess they were examining his etchings!!

yes that is the story i remember i left in 67 at 15 from 4 th year could be bothred to stop on for 5th year but still remember a lot of names had contact a couple of years ago with someone from my ex class through friends reunited just about re named all the class between us

I went there 77 to 82, Mr Wardle was the head of our year, there is a reunion being organised for next year--- around about Jan/Feb time, anyone any ideas for where is a good venue to have it? the last one we had was in the deep end, but wanting to do something on a friday or saturday nite

Originally posted by herbiegrass

:D I lived opposite the lane you are talking of, and it led to Hoyle Street, I wonder if the girl you are thinking of was from the Bains family?

I used to knock around with Alec Bains and he taught me to smoke.

I think he had a sister called Susan and one called Mary. they lived in the first house at the end of the lane if I remember right, at the bottom of the lane down past the Meadow was a meatal bollard to stop cars going down, and in the yard adjacent in the top corner was Mr Rycroft who owned a very old car, a little like a model t ford. hope this brings back memories.

:hihi:

had a stroll down the area over the weekend that metal bollard thing is still there , looks like a dalek , baines seems to ring a bell cannot remember a mary though.

Originally posted by docmel

Hi

I left in 1970 - but I do remember Mr Wardle - he was our year tutor - to a young kid of 11 he was pretty fearsome, but as I grew older and he went through the school with us (the year tutors stayed with the same kids all through their school life at that time) - he seemed to mellow and i grew quite fond of him by the time I left

Hiya all you Myers Grove people

I was one of the "first batch " of pupils who went to Myers Grove in 1960. Mr Wardle came with us from Crookesmoor school, I had also been in his class since I was 11.

He was a tough teacher , but he was one of the best and a great bloke as well. He had a brilliant knack of "seeing " out of the back of his head, and launching the blackboard rubber at you, and it never missed the target !!! It certainly taught you to pay attention .

I left in 1961 at 15 years old ( as was the norm then ) to join the Sheffield workforce and earn my few quid a week.

deecee

Deecee - I followed you at crookesmoor a few years later - we used to live at the off licens on teh corner just below the school.

remember Mr Brekin and Mr Hill at Crookes moor?

Hiya Docmel, I have sent you a PM, mainly because I don't want to detract from the original thread of Myers Grove ,

deecee:)

:) can you remember the summer fair we used to have , i remember one year i came up with the idea of running a goldfish stall,you know the one where you have to get a ping-pong ball into a goldfish bowl whoever completes this recieved a goldfish (surprise) our stall came top , we took most money on the day :D