Looking For Friends Who Went To Myers Grove In The 70's

Just found this.http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/ten-years-myers-grove-school-film?destination=search%2Fapachesolr_search%3Fpage%3D12%26filters%3Dtype%253Ayfa_film%2520bs_cck_field_videola_video%253A1%26mode%3Dquick%26solrsort%3Dscore%2520desc%252C%2520sis_cck_field_film_id%2520asc

Just found this.http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/ten-years-myers-grove-school-film?destination=search%2Fapachesolr_search%3Fpage%3D12%26filters%3Dtype%253Ayfa_film%2520bs_cck_field_videola_video%253A1%26mode%3Dquick%26solrsort%3Dscore%2520desc%252C%2520sis_cck_field_film_id%2520asc

Gawd, I am in that film - playing trombone in the band at the beginning of the film, then later, but not seen just heard playing the organ for the girls fashion show.

The piano was played by Dave Palmer, who even at 15 was one of the coolest pianists I have ever known - the drummer and singer is Dave Markham who ended up being a head at a school but when he learned he had cancer has turned full time to a career in music

I left there about 70-71, and I too had the cane off Mr marshall for mucking about in the music lesson, I was one of the class clowns and would do a baby's voice, " It wasn't me sir" I cant recall the french teachers name, she had short dark blond hair and a short temper. Shaun Higgins, Paul Grubb,Kevin Martin and Dawn Hogg, the girl I fancied, were in my class.:heyhey:

Paul grubb,big Kevin Martin we sometimes knocked about together and dawn Hogg wowsers

Just found this thread and I cant believe no one has mentioned Mr Vinson he made Wardle look like a saint he was my year tutor, I left in 1968 I can still remember his car registration number SHE 957 it was a maroon and grey Vauxhall Victor he used to drive around malin bridge looking for pupils who were smoking and going to the chip shop, none of which were allowed back then, that's probably why I got the cane so often.

I was at Myers Grove from 64-71. I remember Mr Vinson and many other teachers already mentioned. I was in the year with Sam Ellis, Gemma Holder, someone earlier mentioned John Nicholson he was a in the year above me. Kathleen, his sister was in the same year as me - they were both talented swimmers.

I have many happy memories of my time at Myers:)

I was at Myers Grove from 64-71. I remember Mr Vinson and many other teachers already mentioned. I was in the year with Sam Ellis, Gemma Holder, someone earlier mentioned John Nicholson he was a in the year above me. Kathleen, his sister was in the same year as me - they were both talented swimmers.

I have many happy memories of my time at Myers:)

Sounds like we would have been in the same year.

I don't recognize Tenaj but I did know the others you mention.

Sounds like we would have been in the same year.

I don't recognize Tenaj but I did know the others you mention.

I went to Myers Grove from Malin Bridge school. My name is Janet and at the time my surname was Goodison. :)

I went to Myers Grove from Malin Bridge school. My name is Janet and at the time my surname was Goodison. :)

Aaaah, of course.

We did cross paths a couple of times after leaving.

This is John Rodgers.

Aaaah, of course.

We did cross paths a couple of times after leaving.

This is John Rodgers.

Hi John. I hope you are well. Did you go to the reunion that was arranged for when everyone was 50.? There was some talk of another one but that doesn't seem to have come to fruition.

IT's good to hear from you John - Kind Regards. Janet.

Hi John. I hope you are well. Did you go to the reunion that was arranged for when everyone was 50.? There was some talk of another one but that doesn't seem to have come to fruition.

IT's good to hear from you John - Kind Regards. Janet.

I could not make that 50th reunion - bit of a trek from Florida.

I could not risk missing the last bus home. 8)

Cheers

JR

I went from Rivelin to Myers up until I was expelled on the day the miners strike started.One of my abiding memories was watching the older kids in the annual Grove Games and a hefty kid called Brian Battle and his mate running out to play in Ku Klux Klan outfits! My favourite teacher was Miss Quincy who after I was made to leave school abruptly helped me revise my classical studies exams.

Hiya. I'm new to this forum and happened across the thread. Went to MGCS during the 60's. Can remember Sheila Sherwood, Mr Wardle (6th form tutor) Mr Hill, Mr Furnace and was incredibly in love with Mr Orme the Maths teacher. People in my class were Lynn Brearly, Janet Pearson, Cathryn Booth, Alex Hough, Julie McNamara. Average of 40 students in each class when I was there. Really wanted to be in Ghana house but they put me in India - I hate yellow.

I'm the Alex Hough but it actually Alex Houghton. I'm sorry I have not seen this site before.

It is 50 years this term since 1A3 began with Miss Harper (who became Mrs Woodward) as our form teacher and the much discussed Mr Wardle was our year Head over the next five years.

Boys in our class were Charles Anderson, Richard Brown Steven?Burns Michael Cooke, Richard Greaves - my mate until the fifth form: Steven Hill who left at 15 and went into motorbikes I think; Michael Hobson, Alex Houghton - and I sat by Lynn Cooney for the first year for registration and I am still ashamed of how rude I was to her one lunch time in the third or fourth year trying to show off in front of my male mates. Brian Marsh who I think went out with Marian Greene and was a good bloke. Brian I think most of the boys in our class fancied Marian. There was Richard Moore, (Leslie) Wes Morton who went to work on machine control equipment

Chris Parrott - who I was in contact by chance about 5 years ago - I did not know about the school closure/reunion then. I don't think Chris did either. Nigel Spears who could run and run, Christopher Spurr who was originally mates with Steven Hill but later they fell out and Christopher left to move to the NE.

and there was a Graham Strutt? Sorry if I have missed anyone.

The girls I remember names of as well as Julie MacNamara and Lynn Brierly and Janet Pierce were Kathleen Hughes - who was I am sure

could have worked as a top model, her mate Christine Moss - who Mr Grinter (History) apologised to one lesson after he totally misunderstood her trying to help him out in the second year. He was a good bloke. Then there was Andrea Movinski who always telling "Greaves" off , Lynn Greenstreet a very nice gentle person, Lynn Cooney another nice gentle person was one of the three Lynn(e)'s. Marian Greene was very popular with the boys - especially after she gave that useless woodwork teacher (who came to teach us "music" - where have all the flowers gone"for one afternoon - for one term or perhaps the whole year!) two fingers behind his back after he sent her out. Us boys would have loved to have done that too. I think the incident really upset her.

When we became 2A2 (1A1 became 2G for German) I think Rod Tayor, Keith Ludlum, Chris Shepherd, Pat Kirk and Sally Fields?and one or two other girls joined the class. Richard Greaves fancied Pat but I think she wasn't too keen on him. Richard became a lab tech at the school when some of us joined the sixth form. I did not really enjoy the sixth form and the head of the sixth form Mr Taylor was as my friend Chris Shepherd said .....was a real toad.

I hope this has jogged a few memories and best wishes to all my old class mates who are hopefully still with us though life is full of surprises and not always of the kindest either. I will look on the friends re-united site as well and see if I can see some old friends. I am sorry I have missed some of the girls - and all the girls in our class were nice girls!

I have been on the "Friends Reunited" web site and it has quite a lot of bits and bats and a big list of contacts but nothing really very interesting except there is a photo of the Lower Sixth in 1971 which brought back both good an not so good memories. The film now on the Web of "Myers Grove 5 years on" is more interesting and although it is rather odd it is still worth viewing as it captures our school at our time.

Since all this is so long ago and old class mates will have endured the trials of life and I am aware that one or two of us may not be still here.

However if anyone from 1A3 to 5A2 or whatever we were called wants to get in touch my address is WAlexHoughton@aol.com. I would really like to know how Chris Shepherd went on as he was a such special person in many ways. Best wishes to everyone at the school 1965- 1970/72

---------- Post added 04-11-2015 at 08:01 ----------

Alex Houghton again.

I was going to send a private message to "Lost in France". but I needed more posts Anyhow I think she may have been the only girl from our class to stay on till the sixth form and I am sorry some Baseturd broke your heart. Don't think it would be any of the boys from our class.

Edited by AlexHoughton
Correcting names!

I'm the Alex Hough but it actually Alex Houghton. I'm sorry I have not seen this site before.

It is 50 years this term since 1A3 began with Miss Harper (who became Mrs Woodward) as our form teacher and the much discussed Mr Wardle was our year Head over the next five years.

I was going to send a private message to "Lost in France". but I needed more posts Anyhow I think she may have been the only girl from our class to stay on till the sixth form and I am sorry some Baseturd broke your heart. Don't think it would be any of the boys from our class.

Alex - this is Mark Melluish - I dont know if you remember me but let me throw some names and see if they stick: Martin Dawson, Heather Shepherd, Keith Pursehouse, Joan Wing, Denise Pass, Steve Foster, Paul McMullen, Ken Lockwood, Beryl Cooper, John Taylor, Tim Metcalf, Lyndsey Billard, Roger Travis (RIP), Vera Blyth, James Flannery, Chris Shaw, Stephen Bower, Liz Trower, Susan Davidson, Anne Tomlinson, Dave? Seaton

Missed so many but sadly the memory is letting me down now