Looking For Friends Who Went To Myers Grove In The 70's

Hello Mark

Thanks for your message. I remember your name but I remember you were not in my form and we must have been there in the sixth form.

I recognise some of the names you have sent and they must all be folks on the L6 photo on the "Friends Reunited" site. You might be able to locate them better than me.

Keith Purshouse I remember was Paul McMullen's cheery mate. When we were in the 5th Year Paul was in goal and I chased a ball and collided with him and my front teeth have never been the same since!

I am sorry Roger Travis has passed on. He was one from Wisewood who joined us in the sixth form and I was quite friendly with him. I think he gave up though before the A levels which was disappointing at the time.

Stephen Foster I think is standing next to me in the photo. I seem to remember he was a real Romeo - hope he didn't break too many hearts!!

If we get any more replies I will try and contact Chris Parrott and see if anybody want to meet up somewhere in Stannington next Spring. Some of us must be retired. I am sort of retired I had short (not great) career as a science teacher and I worked in Social Services till 2007 when I decided to go back to teaching after the support service I worked for was "remodelled"!

The new school does not seem to be doing too well. I have read their Ofsted report and I think perhaps a team of retired Old Grovians who are now great or lesser oaks might volunteer to be one-to-one tutors in the school for Maths or English for ever more.

Best wishes

Alex.

Edited by AlexHoughton
spelling corrections!

Hello Mark

Thanks for your message. I remember your name but I remember you were not in my form and we must have been there in the sixth form.

I recognise some of the names you have sent and they must all be folks on the L6 photo on the "Friends Reunited" site. You might be able to locate them better than me.

Keith Pursehouse and I remained close friends up to me leaving Sheffield in 1986 - in fact he was best man at my wedding - he was/is a director at a tiling company based in Rotherham, but he still lives in Stannington

Paul McMullen is now in Doncaster, doing something very clever in science at the hospital.

Sadly Roger Travis passed away on Xmas Eve 2014 - he was landlord of a pub in Tickhill

Stephen Foster ended up being a Chief Inspector in Avon and Somerset Police Force - its been some time since I was in contact but guess he will have retired now

I went there 73 to 78 Mr siberry was year tutor and I was in Mr thorns class I remember Mr waffle he taught re.

---------- Post added 15-10-2016 at 16:04 ----------

I went there 73 to 78 Mr siberry was year tutor and I was in Mr thorns class I remember Mr waffle teaching re and Mrs hippsly measuring yr heels in assembly :)

I was at Myers from 1972 to 1977.

My sister was in Mr Wardle's year. I was in Mr Burgin's year (if that's how you spell it). My Brother was 2 years below me and my nephew also went to myers some years later. The teachers were strict but they probably had to be. I left Myers with nowt as soon as I got work - big mistake -it has taken me the next 30 years to catch up.

I do remeber Mr Rhodes, as I once went to a christian action camp at Cliff College with him and several others. Anyone else remeber the trip? Does anyone remeber "Touche"? I can never remember his real name; he was a maths teacher and taught fencing. I went on a summer camp to Buttermere in the lakes when I was about 12 or 13 and Mr Snell was one of the teachers that took us. I came home covered in midge bites but had a good time. Anyone else remember being on the same camp?

Hi

I was on the buttermere camp , remember having to do the roll out of the canoe in freezing cold water before we could go out on the lake ,we traveled up there in a old van ,I learnt all the words to life on mars on the way,we all slept in tents and took turns at the cooking

I went there 73 to 78 Mr siberry was year tutor and I was in Mr thorns class I remember Mr waffle he taught re.

---------- Post added 15-10-2016 at 16:04 ----------

I went there 73 to 78 Mr siberry was year tutor and I was in Mr thorns class I remember Mr waffle teaching re and Mrs hippsly measuring yr heels in assembly :)

I left in '78- remember Mr Sibury, (Sibery?- never was sure), and Mrs Hippsly. They'd remember me cos I was usually late! Only lived 5 minutes away......

---------- Post added 27-02-2018 at 10:40 ----------

I dont remember a moped but I do remember he had an Allegro estate?:hihi:

I remember the moped- and one of the teachers had one of those Citroen 2CV things - we used to rock it to see if it would tip over....

there's a few i can remember david oxley , john bell , paul culf , steve ashmore , neill jessermino , john fisher , gary knowles

we all left around 72.

I can remember all of them, good lads, we didn't half get in one or two scrapes especially when we started visiting the top rank on a Tuesday night, good times and very good memories.

Went to the College of FE next door and Mr Wardle was principle there ,it's got to be the same guy?

is the farm still next door, i can remember feeding the pigs at lunchtime

Does anyone remember Joe Hirst had a brother Steve Hirst ?

1. i went to myers  grove left in 1968 i can remember hill head master and then yeats giant of a man we called him rowdy yeats i remeber jackson bent nose like a boxer used to love giving you six of the best and smith rugby teacher he used to hit you with a slipper sting like hell happy days [ dont know

Just found this thread I went to Myers Grove, I moved up from Sacred Heart on Hillsborough, enjoyed school years and had some good friends, Kev Crawshaw  Nige Southern, Andy Peel , Chris Turner , Al Young , Chas Forster, Paddy Woodcock, girls I remember, Julie Atherton, Lorraine Costelli, Michelle Harrison , Michelle Fairy , Julie and Gail Wheatcroft, Fiona Wilson, Lorraine Harrison and my first love Joanne Walker. I joined the army not long after I left and lost touch with my old school mates. Anyone who knew me please get in touch.

Edited by John Fisher
New name