Looking For Friends Who Went To Myers Grove In The 70's

Bumped into Prof Mel Jones (geography/History teacher 1961-1967). He was in Rotherham General hospital last week. He is a diabetic and had an infection. Recognised him by the voice recollected old times at MG.

I think my sister left in '76. She runs one of the reunion things over on friends reunited. They just had one a couple of weeks ago.

I left in 89 and pretty much stayed where I was as lower school was part of Loxley college by that time.

I am too young for this thread. Any of you people need help crossing the road? ;)

I was in Mr Wardle's year does anyone remember him ?

Maybe someone out there was in the same year as me please reply for a chat and catch up on the old school day's.

Hi janice we the leavers 1976 had a reunion the other friday at burgoyne arms we were a year younger as we had Mr LLoyd as year tutor. They meet every year or so mainly from malin bridge or shooters grove primaries so took a few ex morley st/rivelin school mates there are a few pics on freinds site.

See you

I left in 1979 but went back 1979-1980 for an extra year to retake the 5th Year (you could do that at that time).

I have a lot of good memories at the school and a lot of bad. Mr Wardle did make racist comments about me and I challenged him in class about it..as follows;

end part of the conversation...

MW - "and your sort of people should know that"

me - " excuse me sir what do you mean by your sort of people?"

MW - "you know your sort, your black kind" ...under his breath

me "you mean black sir, why are you singling me out of all the class? thats not right and I don't think its fair. You point me out and say YOUR sort of people and then mutter under your breath about black?"

MW - "are you arguing with me boy?"

THe class went quiet

I stood up and, well it went like this....

me -"I think you owe me an apology for that racist comment"

MW - "SIT DOWN NOW!"

me - "no I want my apology or I will take it further. You have embarressed me in front of the class so apologise to me in front of the class....thats all"

33 heads turn from me to Mr Wardle who I might had was turning several shades of pink....to....red.

MW - "I .....apologise for that comment, now Sit Down"

me - " thank you sir" and I sat down.

Thirty minutes later and several hundred handshakes later.....and well the rest is history. Even when I see some old schoolmates yars later they still mention the incident and well it is still something to smile about.

we were in awe of these teachers or scared, had a freind how used to draw a cartoon of wardle in his cloak as a vulture. A few decent teachers, but bad times mainly we had a great time at morley st/ rivelin and stayed on as it was made a middle school as too many kids for myers, had a reunion there at rivelin 6 years ago met up with old headmaster and a few old mates great memoies!!

got to pick up the daughter now from school as must not forget today's tasks

thanks bye

hi were there any 1977-78 school leavers at the reunion the other week,have had a look at the photos on friends reunited but dont recognise anybody,but bumped into an old school friend the other day who said she had been invited to it,but didnt go,if there were some there can you tell me a few of their names,ta.

there were only a few leavers from 1976,777 or78, this time some younger than us and some older quite a mixed bag. Even Deb Iggo didn't know some and she arranged it all and took pics. If go again needs more organisation, just a bad week opening nite of world cup music too loud but met some old mates and shared contact details. Lots of people didn't turn up!

linda jones michelle mason gillian sperry, michele dowse only old boy was craig can't remember surname, phil bray, russell smith been other years seen gary hill at morley st chris hurst, pete riggall, debra robinson,helen dunn,don't know if you remeber these names which junior school

sorry dont remember any of those names,i think they were abit older than me,i went to malin bridge

Even Deb Iggo didn't know some and she arranged it all and took pics.

Aww - my sister is famous on the Interweb! :)