Horse & Lion at Arbourthorne

an interesting thought, when the rest of the re-build is complete on Norfolk Park wonder if a weatherspoon or charlie chalk might build on there as previously said there are no 'local pubs' on estate.

closest would be Earl Marshall (east bank road) as travellers on city road has been shut for a while now, could be a worthwhile investment if built near Norfolk Park itself with all the shows etc on in the summer which are worth going to.

Thanks so much for the information, do you know if the estate had improved since all the money has been invested

The housing, definitley, has been upgraded, but I cannot say, these days, what the calibre is of the people there. (and of course, like any/every area there are pockets of good and bad)

I lived in the brown block (Beldon) which was by the Arbourthorne tram stop, for a short time, and it was dreadful. I had druggies next door to me, who boasted how they'd broken into my (7th floor) flat, when the previous tenant was living there, by clambering over the balconies. they were always fighting, disruptive, off their heads on whatever! Banging on my door at goodness knows what time of night! It was awful! However, the block is no longer there. It was "cleared" about three years ago.

I know the area was rough with drugs and so on, but thought it might have improved now the high rised flats have been knocked down, and new houses built, did you ever drink the the horse and lion

hi dawn i live bang opposite the horse and lion on the new estate i think its been closed about 2 months

Hi did you ever drink in there at all and is that the only pub left on estate

Thanks for the photo, ive searched all over for one but with no luck

I lived in the blue flats (Beeches Drive) in the late 80's and early 90's while I was growing up, it was definately rough.

The best thing was the local butcher, he could get hold of anything you wanted, and not just meat either..

sounds really rough, did anyone you know drink in the horse and lion

The Holdsworth's David & Stephen and I think Davids wife Audrey, always battling in there at weekends.

Thanks for your reply, do you still live in the area

Hi does anyone know anything about the Horse & Lion pub in Arbourthorne? does anyone miss their local being closed down? whats the area like since its had all the money spent on it?

The Horse and Lion is on the Norfolk Park not Arbourthorne? In it's heyday it was a great pub, as was the estate, but now it is a bit of a rough area. There are no pubs that are now open on the NP due to violence and drugs. The Lion, as it was known is up for lease I believe though. A lot of new houses have been built in the area but until the crime problems are sorted out its like dressing a pig in a suit, if you know what I mean. I haven't lived there for over 10 years but go there about once a week to see friends and family.