The Week Mcdonalds (Furnival Gate) opened! circa 85?

Does anyone remember the excitement of Mcdonalds opening at the top of the moor? I think it must have been 85 ish? Queues out the door and no more Wimpy across the road burgers out of cartons and the first big mac!

yes i remember as i had just been to visit someone in the hallamshire with my mum and we went to mcdonalds for tea.

i remember when the chocolate milkshakes tasted like chocolate and you had to drink/eat them with them straws with the spoons on the end.

I worked there from 1986 to 1988!

I can't say it was a joy, but as a poor student it was easy to do. I started on £1.50 an hour on a 4 hour shift.

The manager was feared by most members of staff, she was horrendous to work for. I'm sure there was a huge staff turnover because of her.

'Mcdonalads' ??? :roll::huh:

i thought it was later than '85 to be honest. quite surprised me as I would have said '87 onwards

it seemed much more expensive compared to other fast food outlets such as chip shops/sandwich shops. not the case now tho.

i had my first big mac in 7 years whilst in edinburgh last year. never again - awful experience. rather gnaw my own hand off.

I remember my first experience of Mcdonalds, and i wasnt impressed.

As a lad, it used to be a treat to go into Wimpy when we were out shopping in town with my mum. Burgers and chips, with the fried egg done in an egg ring (which for some reason they always put in your burger??)

So when we went to McD's we couldnt beleive that you got your food on a tray, and at with your fingers out of cartons!! lol.

How things change. Would be nice for an old fashioned Wimpy to open up again, it was loads better than McD's.

Remember the Golden Egg on fargate?

Remember the Golden Egg on fargate?

Was that the one owned by Marsden's ?

thankfully it is now gone !

It makes me wince every time I hear McDonalds outlets Described as "Restaurants".

Surely a restaurant has tablecloths, waiters, a wine list and cutlery.

McDonalds are nothing more than a motorway diner with tiny food and expensive prices.

And the food is tasteless.

Edited by muddycoffee

In 1977 I was working in Tadworth and went to my first Macdonalds in Croydon. Their very first outlet in the UK was opened in 1974 in Walthamstow.

Took my mother there, she was in her sixties at the time. She was horrified that there was no knife an fork, you ate out of cardboard boxes and drunk from a paper cup with no handle....