The Future of Parkwood Springs

Although we're many years away from the closure of the Parkwood Springs landfill site, discussions have started on what will happen to the 300 acre eyesore when the tipping comes to an end.

As the site is obviously unsuitable for housing or other major development I was wondering what forumers thought should happen to the site.

Here are some links on ideas that have already been proposed;

http://www.bdr.group.shef.ac.uk/web_pages/project_outline_parkwood.html

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org.uk/36nov03/parkwood.shtml

http://www.otc.org.uk/news/feasibility.pdf

Please let me know what you think of these ideas or feel free to suggest your own.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

Although we're many years away from the closure of the Parkwood Springs landfill site, discussions have started on what will happen to the 300 acre eyesore when the tipping comes to an end.

As the site is obviously unsuitable for housing or other major development I was wondering what forumers thought should happen to the site.

Here are some links on ideas that have already been proposed;

http://www.bdr.group.shef.ac.uk/web_pages/project_outline_parkwood.html

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org.uk/36nov03/parkwood.shtml

http://www.otc.org.uk/news/feasibility.pdf

Please let me know what you think of these ideas or feel free to suggest your own.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

I heard years ago that it was going to be a golf course. That was before the rooftop protests on musgrave and penrith though. Doubt it can be used for housing and it stinks in summer!!

Hi there,

I work for Sheffield Wildlife Trust as a Greenspace Development Officer and am involved in working alongside the Council, The Parkwood Springs Steering Group and other partners in developing a plan for the future of the site, as a local and city wide resource. If you have a particular interest in the site, or would like to get involved with any activities on site please get in touch (please pm me and then I will send you my work contact details/ reply to any questions).

Thanks

Sarah

I heard years ago that it was going to be a golf course. That was before the rooftop protests on musgrave and penrith though. Doubt it can be used for housing and it stinks in summer!!

Obviously when the landfill site is full and the tip has been capped there won't be any smell.

Can you please explain what the rooftop protests were about and what connection that has with the proposed golf course?

Thanks.

Obviously when the landfill site is full and the tip has been capped there won't be any smell.

Can you please explain what the rooftop protests were about and what connection that has with the proposed golf course?

Thanks.

I live very close to this site and talk to many local people. A few years ago the council was demolishing social housing, the houses on the estate bordered by shirecliffe road and herries road were earmarked for demolishion as this estate goes up to parkwood springs, the land was to be sold to a developer, to build more upmarket houses.

The sort of houses that would have appealed to people that would have been more likely to use a golf course.

The rooftop protests stopped the demolishions, it was in the Star at the time. this is hearsay, how much truth, i don't know.

It needs to be a massive green public open space planted and managed for the benefit of the people of Sheffield and all of its visitors... simple really!

It would also be good if they reconnected Parkwood road north to parkwood road? Even if it was only as a cycle path.

This was a myth put around by the people who were selling the houses there at Kingsmead(?). No truth at all in it.

This was a myth put around by the people who were selling the houses there at Kingsmead(?). No truth at all in it.

It needs to be a massive green public open space planted and managed for the benefit of the people of Sheffield and all of its visitors... simple really!

I agree its a very peaceful place to be in the summer

In response to this- managing Parkwood Springs as a massive public green space is exactly what us at Sheffield Wildlife Trust, in partnership with lots of other people such as Sheffield City Council, Parkwood Springs Action Group and many more groups are currently doing, within the limitations we come across (funding etc). The more people that want to get involved the better, whether that is attending events, putting forward suggestions and showing at interest. This collective approach will help us to secure funding, get more support for the project and move it forward.

There has already been a lot of planning, and a general plan for the site has been produced, if anyone would like a copy of this I am sure I will be able to send you a copy of the relevant leaflet. If anyone would like to be informed of events that they can attend please pm me with your details and I will sort this for you.

Looks like some nice pictures in there, if you could expand them slightly. Not sure whether it's just my computer, but the 'pictures' section are tiny.

But, if money was around and plentiful, looks great. Considering all the problems with the Ski Slope, I'm not sure who would invest in it though.

Thanks.

Golf course sounds the most promising. Massive area, and I guess not as expensive as the rest.

Shame I'm crap at Golf.:(