The pointless resurfacing of Northumberland Road S10

As a motorcyclist I was pleased to hear that the council were planning to resurface Northumberland Road due to it's deteriorating state making it just plain dangerous to ride up and down, particularly when wet.

At present on Northumberland Road there are several areas of construction involving heavy goods vehicles and other large construction vehicles. They go up and down the road, and have probably worsened the road even further.

Rather than wait for the building work to be completed and therefore these vehicles to no longer be using the road for access, the council went ahead and had the road resurfaced in November. Now, in January the road has started to come up again due to the large volume of heavy traffic due to the building work. Already large gaps have started to appear and in places the top surface has completely worn away. This has left me feeling angry with the council for wasting tax payers money on something which is never going to last. Within a day of the road being relayed, heavy good vehicles were using the road for access, therefore not letting the surface settle sufficiently. :loopy:

Has anyone else noticed this?

I can name dozens of roads that are in appaling state, but the worst I have recently experienced is Abbey lane.

The council spent some time and money installing pointless cycle lanes 40 Yds long, and traffic islands. when if you use the road on a bicycle you better be very careful as the edge of the road has sunk by 2-4 cms in places leaving a nasty deep groove that almost made me fall off. it would be even worse on a motorbike.

Their incompetence is breathtaking. Sheffield has the worst roads anywhere I have ever been, including Poland.

As a motorcyclist I was pleased to hear that the council were planning to resurface Northumberland Road due to it's deteriorating state making it just plain dangerous to ride up and down, particularly when wet.

At present on Northumberland Road there are several areas of construction involving heavy goods vehicles and other large construction vehicles. They go up and down the road, and have probably worsened the road even further.

Rather than wait for the building work to be completed and therefore these vehicles to no longer be using the road for access, the council went ahead and had the road resurfaced in November. Now, in January the road has started to come up again due to the large volume of heavy traffic due to the building work. Already large gaps have started to appear and in places the top surface has completely worn away. This has left me feeling angry with the council for wasting tax payers money on something which is never going to last. Within a day of the road being relayed, heavy good vehicles were using the road for access, therefore not letting the surface settle sufficiently. :loopy:

Has anyone else noticed this?

The resurfacing job was crap in the first place. Before the lorries even had chance the surface was falling apart. I couldn't believe the terrible job done!

Woodseats road is a great deal worse than Abbey Lane.

They keep putting patches on it which just adds to the lumpiness and potholes. The whole surface needs planing off and completely renewing.

The more patches they do the worse the road gets.

downwards on motorcycle I dare not go over 10mph.

The worst potholed road in sheffield IS carlisle street!!one of the main roads into the city, and its like traveling on a road in Baghdad!!

I wrote to the council about this a few weeks ago. They replied very quickly to say that they'll get the contractor to patch up the road in a few weeks time, and that once the University building work is complete, the road will be completely re-laid (scheduled for August), and that the bill for this won't come from our taxes.

Also, I should say, I also mentioned to them about the dodgy paving slabs at the top of Division Street, they're going to fix them too.

You know, people whinge about the council, but that's three times I've reported a problem to them and they've responded very quickly and got the problem sorted straight away or scheduled the work, depending on the seriousness. The other occassion was when someone had kicked down a road sign, leaving a rusting jagged stump in the ground that someone could easily have hurt themselves on. I reported this when I got to work in the morning, and when I walked past on the way home later that day, the stump had been been removed, and the next day they replaced it with a brand new road sign.

So my point is, if you have an issue like this, moaning on a message board will get you nowhere, instead, just report the problem to whoever it concerns.

The resurfacing job was crap in the first place. Before the lorries even had chance the surface was falling apart. I couldn't believe the terrible job done!

Have you not seen any road resurfacing job ever done in Sheffield in the last twenty years?

This is always the end result. It stays good for about three weeks, then starts to disintegrate.

You can report maintenance/damage/problems etc here.

I've contacted them a few times,and they do respond to whats reported.

They've just resurfaced the slalom route that was Upperthorpe Road with amazing speed, with a surface that appears to be the same as Northumberland Road's and without scraping the old surface off the road first. I wonder if it'll last....