Should criminals be made to face victims?

The government is thinking (probably currently underway) of carrying out trials to allow criminals the option to face victims of their crimes and by doing so can avoid going to court.

Now I see that this unworkable because it only takes one wrong victim to get their revenge once they know what they look like.

Tell me why the government think its a good idea. Surely not to educate them by seeing the grief they cause.

Would you like to see who did the crime?

Could you hold back your anger?

Essentially, no. The principle of restorative justice seems to be about healing the bad feeling between victims and offenders.

Victim - Offender meetings are used with young adults right down to 11 year olds who seem to be developing anti-social and criminal patterns of behaviour. Just skimming through google gives the impression that in quite a few cases, a well mediated meeting between Victim and Offender can actually turn the offender around completely, and the overall recidivism rate is lower than the control.

It's not well established (first tried 22 years ago in Canada it seems) but the supporting evidence for it is growing.

But from everything I can find on the topic, it does seem to be focussed on mostly boys between 11 and 18, not your average rapist or tooled up drug dealer.

There is much evidence that restorative justice is successful in many cases, and some UK police forces have been using such schemes for some time, with good results on re-offending rates.

I know of a current case in this area where somebody is meeting with the people who murdered one of their parents. They want firstly to face the killers for their own benefit, but also want to question why they did what they did, and to let them know the effect that their actions have had.

Originally posted by John

The government is thinking

A fine example of an oxymoron.

I'd like to meet the guy who mugged my 91 year-old mum which led her to 3 months in hospital, after which she couldn't cope at home so went to a nursing home and died 2 months later.

It might have a positive effect on his future "offending behaviour" but once I knew who it was I'm afraid it might have the opposite effect on my future "offending behaviour" in regards to him.

• 5 years later...
Now I see that this unworkable because it only takes one wrong victim to get their revenge once they know what they look like.
Yes this reason alone IS REASON ENOUGH not to do this very often!

People in the world have TEMPERS and like to get REVENGE more times than not,they could not control themselves!!

The only way this might work all the time is: THE VICTIM BEING THREATEND WITH LEGAL ACTION IF ANYTHING HAPPENS TO THE SUSPECT....

Archived