Any tips on how to unblock an outside drain?

i had blocked drains outside the house, partner got a high powered pressure washer on it, worked a treat

We had a blocked drain recently, and that was the advice we were given - to try breaking down the blockage by using hosepipe or pressure washer. Worked for us too.

Were on a septic tank, and recently with the floos the ground got really wet so we ended up getting blocked up too was quite smelly LOL

when useing the drianig rods, make sure you do twist them otherwise you will definatly loose them! and when that happens its not good fun lol.

good luck

We have a blocked exterior drain, the one the sinks drain into and I can't for the life of me get it unblocked.

The main problem is the main drain access is under my conservatory floor so I can't access it without ripping up floor tiles. I need it flushing if possible from the actual drain hole end.

Any suggestions... other than to shove it up my drain pipe :hihi:

by some rods you can get them cheap enough be cheaper than getting some 1 out

try darryl at blocklmaster

Blockmaster Drain & Sewer Clearance, Chesterfield

(Drains and Sewers)

5 Hazelwood Drive, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S43 4WR

Phone: 01246 819131

Thanks, I got my brain in gear and poked it with stuff, poured boiling water down there and plungered it, it's flowing again now.

Not saying you have done this, but do not put fat down the sink, you should wipe out as much as you can from the utensil with kitchen paper then bin that. I speak from bitter experience!!! I had some drain rods so was able to clear it.

Get some caustic soda in - that'll shift anything, even my OHs dirty looks.

PS - if she's reading this, someone must have hacked into my account. Honest!

always have some drain cleaning caustic soda and follow the instruction carefully.

It costs a £1 for 500 grms and you mix half with cold water in a bucket,the chemical reaction makes it warm...pour down drain hole,leave for 30 mins then pour a kettle of boiling down.

It never fails and I always have a couple of tubs, I tend to use every couple of months and never get blockages

This is a very short but hopefully valuable tip that will come in handy to many readers, how to unblock a drain for free. Well, the easiest way is to start by putting old clothing on and find your self a pair of rubber gloves. Remove the drain cover with a small sharp tool such as a flat screw driver and then insert your hand in to the drain to remove any debris that you can feel resting at the bottom of the drain sump. Generally this will unblock most drains, but if it doesnt, here's what to try next. Insert a running hose pipe in to the drain and let it run. If the drain fills up with water then obviously there is still a blockage and further action is necessary. Sorry folks, but it's time to get down on your knees again! Insert your hand into the drain and feel around for a small hole which will be around the size of a tennis ball. When you have located the hole, guide the hosepipe in to the hole and gently push it through the pipe work until it will go no further and reaches the blockage. Turn the tap on and whilst the water is flowing, gently pull and push the hose pipe back and forth until the blockage clears and waste water begins to flow again. That's it..... well hopefully it is, but if not, feel free to check out my profile website or visit ukrod.com if you need further assistance. :)

Well this is my experience of clearing a blocked outside drain at the last drain on my property being the one that all my other drains feed into.

It starts with removing a drain cover and finding deep water and foul waste.

The first thing I needed to do was to identify where the water should run out.

Now this is where it gets a bit scary, I used a 40 quid vacuum cleaner to suck all the nasty stuff out and stored in large cement bath.

With all the crap out of the way I could see where the water should run out.

I blasted the exit flow with a jet spray that cleared the rest of the muck and could see that water was flowing slowly through the exit.

I could also see that a lot of gravel had accumulated at the exit point, again the vacuum cleaner was used to shift this, and finally I found a large round concrete plug just sat in the exit flow, I could not imagine this was serving any useful purpose so removed that as well.

I hope this may be of assistance to someone and if anyone's knows what the concrete plug is doing is my drain then please let me know.

The plug you found is the rodding eye nohitsheloc, what you have is a windsor trap, the gravel was blocking a U bend which is there to stop smells coming back from the main drain which yours connects to. (the water in it stops the smells)

The cap is for rodding down stream of the trap (as rods won't go round the bend)

removing the cap won't be a problem and would actually help keep the drain flowing should your U bend get blocked again.

a couple of short sharp plunges down the trap with a rod and plunger attachment now and then will keep it free and stop it silting up.