Wetherspoons will serve you only two alcoholic drinks if you are with children

He's saying that Wetherspoons tried to clear him out because he was 'taking up a table'.

Which is still my point. Wetherspoons is the MacDonalds of pubs, and they just treat customers as a 'profit unit' and if you're not profitable they want you out.

It sounded more like a general rant about the place to me. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Makes me annoyed because not everyone who takes their kids in a pub is a chav - though I suppose Wetherspoons is after all known for being the cheapo chav chain - and it just penalises the vast majority of people who can take the kids out for a bite to eat and a beer and have them be civilised.

It won't penalise me, because I won't be using the chain

Now there's no smoking in all pubs they'll be more attractive places for parents. Yes they're adult places, but if parents don't mind their kids hear the inevitable bit of effing and jeffing, then what's wrong with adult places for kids? We don't object to them being in museums or galleries if they're well behaved, nor to them being in restaurants.

Precisely. In fact, it annoys the hell out of me when some parents bring their kids into a pub, and then have a go at people's language, etc. They've taken them to an adult environment, so expect adult behaviour! I moderate my language round kids, but I'd never expect anyone in a pub to do it, just because I'd brought my kids in. The adult has more right to be there than the child!

If a pub outright says "No Kids" then that's fine - and in fact better than saying "Kids welcome. But please bugger off once we've had all your money."

Quite right.

I won't be bothering with them now. I'd rather they be honest about it. Though I'll be quite happy to take the little one into one of my favourite free houses for a meal once he's old enough; plenty of them will be happy to have or business without rushing us out of the door after filling us with frozen ready meal crap. I don't see why I should be forced into eating at MacDonalds, and nor should he, so long as he's well behaved.

Just as I'm capable of getting up and turning off the TV if something is inappropriate for him, I can get up and leave a pub if it's too lairy. Because I hate this thing of turning all our pubs into 'theme parks' too!

The bar staff came to me and complained my friend was drunk, i said fair enough, but you have served him ALL of it, I will make sure he gets home, but bring me 4 pints of water to the table first, they brought the water, and i got my mate to drink it, he then went to the toilet and returned with 2 pints and 2 double whiskies. I then complained to them for serving him when asking him to leave, not long after he left of his own accord, without coat, keys, phone etc.

proves the point i made on the 1st page....how do they expect to enforce it when the staff are quite frankly doing the bare minimum to keep their jobs!

i extend my sympathy to anybody who works for wetherspoons- over the 10 years ive been doing bar work, ive met many, many former employees- all of whom have said they would never work for the company again and wouldnt recommend working for them to their worst enemy.

unless you treat your staff well, dont expect to get good results from them....and as a customer, dont be surprised when you get shoddy service.

x

I was in a wetherspoons with 3 mates, all of us male, all out for a good sesssion (all of us somewhat alcoholic, but differing in bodyweight), the lgihtest bloke being 8 stone, was going for it, after around 8 pints each, he began to order double vodkas or whiskies with a round of pints, after 2 more rounds each he was drunk as a skunk, the other two left and i stayed behind.

The bar staff came to me and complained my friend was drunk, i said fair enough, but you have served him ALL of it, I will make sure he gets home, but bring me 4 pints of water to the table first, they brought the water, and i got my mate to drink it, he then went to the toilet and returned with 2 pints and 2 double whiskies. I then complained to them for serving him when asking him to leave, not long after he left of his own accord, without coat, keys, phone etc.

They then tried to kick me out as i was taking up a full table, luckily for me a large group of women had seen the shennanigens and intervened, I ended up leaving but so did around 20 other people. I took my mates possesions home and all was well, but their staff could have used some common sense, I think some of the problems arise with them employing simple students at minimum wage who can't think rationally and do as the latest h&s briefing says, this is common across many professions.

So you went out with the determined plan to get hammered, and when that happened it's all the bar staff's fault? You talk about staff who can't think rationally; what about taking responsibility for your own choices?

This thread points up two of the most dysfunctional aspects of Britain: the dominant attitude to alcohol and the dominant attitude to children. It makes me feel like a foreigner in my own land. :(

i think its a good idea, i spent 2 weeks abroad and never had one drink of alcohol as i was responsible for mini witch, you have to be eyes and ears for your little ones, thats not very good when those are disturbed with booze

So you went out with the determined plan to get hammered, and when that happened it's all the bar staff's fault? You talk about staff who can't think rationally; what about taking responsibility for your own choices?

This thread points up two of the most dysfunctional aspects of Britain: the dominant attitude to alcohol and the dominant attitude to children. It makes me feel like a foreigner in my own land. :(

Not hammered, just to have a good session, pubs tend to offer little else but alcohol, what else are you supposed to do, unless there is a quiz/karoke night and what not.

Granted one of our party got too drunk, we were all for leaving and we did, we caused no trouble, but the staff continued to serve him after asking him to leave, that was my gripe as it made it more difficult to get my mate home safely.

proves the point i made on the 1st page....how do they expect to enforce it when the staff are quite frankly doing the bare minimum to keep their jobs!

i extend my sympathy to anybody who works for wetherspoons- over the 10 years ive been doing bar work, ive met many, many former employees- all of whom have said they would never work for the company again and wouldnt recommend working for them to their worst enemy.

unless you treat your staff well, dont expect to get good results from them....and as a customer, dont be surprised when you get shoddy service.

x

i know a chef who was working with them and did some training to be the head chef i think, he put in a lot of work to do this, the reward was greater responsibility and a 5 or 10p pay increase, he quit there and then.

Not hammered, just to have a good session, pubs tend to offer little else but alcohol, what else are you supposed to do, unless there is a quiz/karoke night and what not.

Granted one of our party got too drunk, we were all for leaving and we did, we caused no trouble, but the staff continued to serve him after asking him to leave, that was my gripe as it made it more difficult to get my mate home safely.

Hang on, you asked for FOUR PINTS of water. A pint each? When you're on your way?

i know a chef who was working with them and did some training to be the head chef i think, he put in a lot of work to do this, the reward was greater responsibility and a 5 or 10p pay increase, he quit there and then.

Head chef? It's a microwave. Methinks I sense bovine odour.

Hang on, you asked for FOUR PINTS of water. A pint each? When you're on your way?

one for me and 3 for my mate

one for me and 3 for my mate

Not the best way of sorting things fellah. All of which aside, has nowt to do with kids being about.

Glad you all got home safely though.

Lots of interesting points from viewing over last couple of days.

I was a bar supervisor and staff trainer for a few years, and in my experience, a lot of bar staff in busy places can't even serve in any sort of order, let alone decide who has had what.

I'm not sure what view I have in this 2 drink thing.

It's not possible to enforce in a busy place, but if it's quiet that would defeat the object that I think Mathom put about getting as many in as possible. So how will they gain anything, other than annoyed customers?

That's if the whole thing is actually happening.