Wetherspoons will serve you only two alcoholic drinks if you are with children

they also have said they will go as far to refuse soft drinks and hot drinks to parents if they dont want them in the pub any more.

A licensee can refuse to sell anybody a drink so why don’t they say what they really mean.

:suspect:

My OH and I must be one of the few parents who have children that behave in public dining places then .. but they've been used to eating out since they were very young and we holidayed in Greece.

Nothing worse than children in pubs.

Oh wait there is; Mums who bring children into pubs.

Last year I had to refuse service to 2 "ladies" who had consumed a bottle of wine each in the beer garden whilst in charge of 2 small kids. When I said they had to go, the effing and blinding was unreal; so I turned round quick as you like and asked if they would be proud if the first word her baby made was F###!

Well, they went at me even worse. Then as I was relaying this story inside the bar, one of the mums came to the back door and flipped me the fingers and blew a massive raspberry before running away!!!

I ask you!

The sad think is they properly would be proud.

I was in bear garden and on the bench next to us were two teenage “mums” with a small child at that age where they are just starting to construct sentences, the child couldn`t say much but one of the words was f…, and the mothers thought it was hilarious.

:(

When I visited my Mom in Sheffield I could drink as much as I wanted in the pub, she lived right next door to the Peacock all we was step over the wall...how lucky was that ?:)

When I visited my Mom in Sheffield I could drink as much as I wanted in the pub, she lived right next door to the Peacock all we was step over the wall...how lucky was that ?:)

and thats loads to do with kids in pubs :huh:

What I am saying is that a variety of factors in our culture, such as parents allowing their children to run riot, or spending all their time screaming and swearing at them, rather than having the skills to engage them in a polite and quiet manner as Spanish and Italian families seem to do, means that JDW, and others perhaps, may take a commercial view that the ambience of their pubs is better served by not seeking to encourage parents to remain for long in the establishment with their children.

JDW do have policies aimed at creating specific atmospheres, hence their (until recent) policy of having no music or tv in their pubs.

It may also be the litigation issue (as I also mentioned above), which again is prominent in current British culture.

Thanks for clearing that up. You are quite right and I agree

this may be a tactful move by Wetherspoons of discouraging children in their pubs, perhaps they have taken customers' opinions into consideration

Nowt to do with customers and all to do with profit. Wetherspoons are following the McDonalds approach which is: get 'em in, get 'em fed, get 'em out, get more of 'em in....

They just want a faster turnaround time. A family watching its pennies isn't going to make them more money if mum and dad linger for another half an hour over their coffee. They could get another family in during that time and make more £££££s from rushing them through some Turkey Twizzlers. Either that or get in a nice party of office workers on a leaving do who will sup 15 profitable pints and order vast amounts of chips as 'blotting paper' in the time it took to feed mum, dad and the two nippers.

Is this policy in place during the day? For instance if a family was going out for lunch?

Is this policy in place during the day? For instance if a family was going out for lunch?
absolutely

chip/shoulder comes to mind .. :hihi:

would you have agreed wth his point if he had re-phrased it as-

children running allover the pub, whilst their parents just sat chatting (I think he was implying children being a nuisance and their parents couldn't care less)