What's on your bird feeder?

I got Great Spotted Woodpecker, goldfinches, robin, blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, blackbird, jay (occasionally).

If you want goldfinches - put some Niger seed out, they love it.

Oh yeh and the squirrels just trashed the nutnet lol

My cats are too busy with vole population to both with the birds.

Caz

Nearly burnt the toasted cheese sandwiches we have just had for lunch because spotted a redpoll on the feeder! Looking out now for its return, hopefully ...

i live at owlthorpe and only have a small garden, but have loads of trees and fields behind us.

Over the xmas hols we have had the following in the garden feeding on seeds, nuts, and fat blocks

Pheasent, patridges, magpies, blackbirds

Tits - Blue, Great and Coal (and the long tail squadron!)

Finches - Chaffinch, Green, Bull, Gold

Robins, Dunnocks, Nuthatches, GS woodpecker, Pidgeon, Dove

A field mouse (cute!)

AND LOADS OF BL**DY SQUIRRELS - COUNTED SIX AT ONE TIME THE OTHER DAY

On other days we have also had a green woodpecker and a sparrowhawk is also a regular visitor usually after the greenfinches.

I find it amazing that we get such a variety of birds just by putting out some seeds.

It brightens up may day - everday.

:cool:

What's on your bird feeder?

Some bread and peanuts.

We use a pole for our feeder but the pesky squirrels just jump on the feeder from the tree in the garden or from the garden fence! We use 20kg of sunflower hearts a month - how much of that, I often wonder, feeds the local squirrel population?

Bird table needs to be at least eight feet from nearest jumping point, - tried five and seven feet but eight defeated them.

I have an upside down plastic waste bin on my pole mounted four feet off the ground - stops cats, rats and squirrels.

Fat balls and feeders are hung from a branch on a very thin wire, - squirrels can slide down them but when I see one I let the dog out. He sits underneath barking while the squirrel is frantically trying to climb back up the wire - real Tom and Jerry stuff :D

Bird table needs to be at least eight feet from nearest jumping point, - tried five and seven feet but eight defeated them.

I have an upside down plastic waste bin on my pole mounted four feet off the ground - stops cats, rats and squirrels.

Fat balls and feeders are hung from a branch on a very thin wire, - squirrels can slide down them but when I see one I let the dog out. He sits underneath barking while the squirrel is frantically trying to climb back up the wire - real Tom and Jerry stuff :D

I think you're right about the jumping distance, problem is garden at moment restricts where we can put pole (partner objects to sunflower hearts taking root in grass). If, or when, we redesign our garden we could deal with this ... the plastic waste bin is a good idea.

The bird table has pretty much the same as everyone elses but sitting on the privet hedge the other day was a rather beautiful Sparrowhawk - at least I think it was. It sat there for quite some time - the garden was eerily quiet and free from other birds for a while! I live in S11 and was very surprised to see it there.

This morning I was still half-asleep when I heard the familiar "yaffling" call of a green woodpecker. Although it didn't sound quite right, I leapt out of bed, went downstairs and grabbed my binoculars. Sure enough - the bird table was deserted (hardly surprising as a squirrel had probably nicked all the food at dawn) but up in the plum tree were three starlings. Evidently one of them was a clever b*gger that liked to do green woodpecker impressions... Starlings will mimic anything - I remember one that did a pretty fair imitation of a chain saw.

I

If you want goldfinches - put some Niger seed out, they love it.

Apparently so, but my parents just got bullfinches on it - evidently no-one has told them :hihi:

I'd like to know how pheasants and partridges get on a bird table, I'm always highly entertained by watching woodpigeons try - they're quite unwieldy :D

The starlings at home used to do milk bottles clinking together, nobody has milk delivered any more though. Apparenlty the buzzing and clicking noises they make comes from sitting on electric wires - they mimic the sounds they hear (or possibly feel?)!

We had to stop feeding the birds because of rats :-(

Me too, I love seeing the birds, but we had a family of rats visiting :sad:

Apparently so, but my parents just got bullfinches on it - evidently no-one has told them :hihi:

I'd like to know how pheasants and partridges get on a bird table, I'm always highly entertained by watching woodpigeons try - they're quite unwieldy :D

The starlings at home used to do milk bottles clinking together, nobody has milk delivered any more though. Apparenlty the buzzing and clicking noises they make comes from sitting on electric wires - they mimic the sounds they hear (or possibly feel?)!

We had a pheasant visiting our area for a while, a couple of years ago, but it suddenly disappeared. We often wonder whether it ended up on someone's plate.

The woodpigeons are frequent visitors to our garden, one has even learnt how to use the feeder!