The "I am currently reading" thread

Simone Weil:

Lecturers On Philosophy.

In what does our liberty consist? Are civilised people essentially freer than primitive ones ? If not,what pattern of social life could make us so ?

Edited by petemcewan

The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley.

A slow burner so far, spent the first 110 pages mostly building atmosphere.

A slow burner that turned into unputdownable. Very atmospheric and with a lot of stuff unsaid and left to the imagination. Excellent read.

A slow burner that turned into unputdownable. Very atmospheric and with a lot of stuff unsaid and left to the imagination. Excellent read.

What sort? Thriller, crime, mills 'n' boon?

What sort? Thriller, crime, mills 'n' boon?

Imagine an M R James long story, throw in some pagan witchcraft and bickering Catholics on a retreat plus some "dodgy locals".

Currently reading The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker. It's been gathering dust for a while because it's size is a bit daunting but I started it last night and whizzed through the first 150 pages or so.

A famous author once loved a 15 year old who mysteriously disappeared. 33 years later her skeleton is uncovered complete with the original manuscript of his greatest novel. An old student of his attempts to find evidence to exonerate him.

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Sculptor's Daughter by Tove Jansson. The author's recollections of childhood. No Moomins.

I highly recommend The Summer Book by her, she makes time stand still on a tiny, idyllic island in the Baltic, it's lovely stuff.

I highly recommend The Summer Book by her, she makes time stand still on a tiny, idyllic island in the Baltic, it's lovely stuff.

Yep read that one a while ago and agree with everything you say. Sculptors Daughter is quite magical too, darkly so at times. It's strange that Tove Jansson isn't better known for her adult books, they are quite unique and wonderful.

In a P.G. Wodehouse mood at the moment so I've just finished Ukridge and now I've just started Big Money. You always know what you're going to get with a PGW book.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. A strange story based in Germany in the late 30's/early 40's. Interesting and quite educational.

On & off I am working my way through Christ Stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi. It's in the original italian, so it's quite hard going in places but it somehow brings the story to life in a way that an english language version wouldn't.

Edited by fatrajah

Arnold Schwarzengger Total Recall - Amazing life story