The "I am currently reading" thread

If you liked Freakonomics (and I thought it was terrific) then I would thoroughly recommend "The Tiger That Isn't" by Blastland and Dilmot. It is mainly about statistics and shows how many news stories etc are based on completely missleading statistics.

Thanks Code 13. I will look out for The Tiger. I am enjoying Half the Yellow Sun; it is a little bit too 'romantic' would that be the right description, but is has given me information on a topic I was unfamiliar with, which has encouraged me to search out facts.

I hope the reading group was good fun; I wish I could make the time to join one. What is your next read?

what am i reading at the moment? ....

counselling for toads ......... dont ask

Pippadoll, our next read at the Red Lion book club is Jasper fforde's "The Eyre Affair".

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=297086

Having just finished "The Tiger That Isn't", I am now reading the book of "Friday Night Lights", which is rivetting so far (true story of the 1988 season of a High School American Football team, later turned into a fictionalised film and tv series), while waiting for my copy of "The Eyre Affair" to arrive.

Wouldn't go so far as brilliant. its amusing in parts and the bit about the orgy is laugh out loud but thats about it

Wel I`ve just finished it and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I found it absolutely hilarious, but then again I do think Russel Brand is the funniest man on the planet, and I can feel a great deal of compassion when he talks of his addictions.

Pippadoll, our next read at the Red Lion book club is Jasper fforde's "The Eyre Affair".

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=297086

Having just finished "The Tiger That Isn't", I am now reading the book of "Friday Night Lights", which is rivetting so far (true story of the 1988 season of a High School American Football team, later turned into a fictionalised film and tv series), while waiting for my copy of "The Eyre Affair" to arrive.

I really enjoyed all of Jasper fforde's Thursday Next books - delightfully complex and clever in a light-hearted way - I hope you enjoy it!

Currently reading I Am Legend, after seeing the film i wanted to see what had changed from the book. The answer is a shed load, much better than the film its a really good book.

To be followed by Sniper One, odd combo i know but been wanting to read it for ages.

I have no idea what the hell 'Song of Ston' was about or why he wrote it.. Worst book in the world ever!!

I agree! I got a signed copy and I was really excited about reading it and in the end I never even finished it!

I'm reading 1984 (again - only this time in French cos i'm dead clevva).

I am currently reading Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

Ooh I loved that. Have you read Cloud Atlas or Number9dream? I think he's brilliant!

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath ... r8 good!

The cover always catches my eye on Cloud atlas... might have to give it a try....I was stood in waterstones on friday looking at it actually.....trying to find out if it was written by a mitchell and webb person lol. Nevermind.

I'm currently listening to the audio book edition of 'My Life' by Bill Clinton.

It's excellent!

The cover always catches my eye on Cloud atlas... might have to give it a try....I was stood in waterstones on friday looking at it actually.....trying to find out if it was written by a mitchell and webb person lol. Nevermind.

Yeah I was a bit confused about that too. But it's not the same guy. :)

I've just finished Sovereign by CJ Sansom, a crime thriller based around Henry VIII's 'Progress to the North'. Mainly set in York, it's a quite atmospheric evocation of Tudor times. The principal character of the novel, a London lawyer, gets caught up in the political conspiracy and intrigue (Yorkshire was the centre of conservative Catholic resistance to Henry's religious reforms). Back in London he ends up in the torture chamber of the Tower but is saved.....almost in time.

Quite a few books I read are politics related: currently Michael Gove's Celsius 7/7 (a view from the neocon side).

I'm currently wading through a rather large tome "The River Cottage Meat Book" by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. I'm stilll digesting {no pun intended!} the polemics of eating meat, but am looking forward to eventually reaching the recipes!