The "I am currently reading" thread

Just reading the Richard Hammond (Top Gear), book. Very good upto now, his wife (Mindy) wrote a couple of chapters about when Richard was comatose etc and it's quite an amazing account of what she and Richard went through.

I am near the end of "Sweet Poison" by David Roberts. Its a detective novel set between the wars and is very much in the style of Dorothy L Sayers. Not as good though and some of the language just doesn't work correctly. You can tell its a model novel written in the style of the classic whodunnit.

Reading Icebound by Dean Koontz at the minute.

A compelling thriller of wintery chills, set in the Artic icefields. A widespread drought is causing murderous famine. There is one possible solution: Arctic ice could be moved south to parched coastlines and melted for water. In an Arctic icefield, a special team of scientists has planted bombs that will detonate automatically at midnight to break away some of the ice. Before they withdraw to the safety of their base camp, a shattering tidal wave breaks loose the ice on which they are working. Now they are marooned on an iceberg during the worst winter storm of the decade. The bombs in the ice beneath them are buried irretrievably deep...and ticking. Abruptly thrown into a desperate struggle for survival, the scientists are plagued by the discovery that one of them is a ruthless killer on a strange mission of his own...

Just finished "Matter" by Iain M Banks, his latest Culture series sci-fi novel. Pretty good read. Like most Banks' books it's multi-threaded and I felt that it concentrated on the wrong threads a bit towards the start, but by the end I was totally hooked.

Just finished "Matter" by Iain M Banks, his latest Culture series sci-fi novel. Pretty good read. Like most Banks' books it's multi-threaded and I felt that it concentrated on the wrong threads a bit towards the start, but by the end I was totally hooked.

Ooh Ooh!

I haven't heard of this one. I love his Culture books, how on Earth have I missed it? I've got his latest "mainstream" novel "The Steep Approach to Garbadale" on my pile of books waiting attention. Must go and look up "Matter"

I've just started Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Maconie.

Other Voices Other Rooms by Truman Capote. I'm enjoying it so far, I can see some similarities with To Kill A Mockingbird.

Just finished reading Brecht's 'Threepenny Novel'.

The Company by Robert Littell, it's nice to find an espionage novel that involves intrigue rather than action. I have been reading and re-reading Le Carre' for years when ever I wanted myspy novel fix, so I am really happy I have found Robert Littel.

I have now just started "Snow" by Orhan Pamuk set in a snowbound city where there has been a suicide epidemic amongst it's young women. I couldn't help thinking about Bridgend.