The "I am currently reading" thread

Not the only one still reading RR! 

I've just finished a couple of Harry Bosch books by Michael connelly, and am now reading Carpet Burns by Tom Hingley, ex-lead singer of the Inspiral Carpets.   It's interesting, but you can tell its not had a ghost writer's input, it's very lumpy, and anecdotes which need fleshing out are left a bit flat. 

11 hours ago, feargal said:

I've just finished a couple of Harry Bosch books by Michael connelly, and am now reading Carpet Burns by Tom Hingley, ex-lead singer of the Inspiral Carpets.   It's interesting, but you can tell its not had a ghost writer's input, it's very lumpy, and anecdotes which need fleshing out are left a bit flat. 

I'm reading City Of Bones by Michael Connelly, its not up to his usual standards so far.

20 hours ago, feargal said:

I'm Glad I'm not the only one reading on here.

Don't you just love it when in conversation (when we could interact in a crowd) some one says "I've never read a book" and you look at them and think 'now why doesn't that surprise me!
Anyway I read Touching at a distance not so long a go By Deborah Curtis on her late husband Ian Curtis.
Excellent book on a very troubled young man. well worth reading.
No excuse for some of the books I read age wise.
Just about to start something (which I shall talk more about once I've read it) that has had one of the longest bloody introductions I've read (20+pages) which dissects the book, its inner meanings the authors state of mind etc etc etc before even starting on the actual story.

Just coming to the end of Ian Rankin's "In a house of lies". I don't want to finish it as it's one of his better ones, in my opinion, but I'm desperate to get to the denouement.

Should I read the end after a bottle of wine so I'll forget and be able to read it again? 

Re-reading some old favourites currently for some light relief from the current issues. Have finished Sophie Kinsella Twenties Girl which never fails to lift my mood and now reading Lucy Anne Holmes 50 Ways to Find a Lover. This is a laugh out loud book about a girl starting a blog about her quest to find romance. If you could do with a laugh/ some light relief from the current situation you could do alot worse  read  this. It's a favourite of mine. All time favourite is Sophie Kinsella Can You Keep a Secret and Lianne Moriatty  Big Little Lies. Best thing about being at home more more reading time and having a jigsaw on the go. 

Writing my own and what a perfect time to do so.

The old saying 'everybody has at least one book in them' has to be true.

I started on something a few years ago but as happened it has been put on the back burner for a while.

I'm still on with it (in a sort of way) but it got side lined work, family new job etc, etc.

While talking about Motorcycles and growing up in Sheffield with my Brother I started this project last year

with the intention's of writing something on the lines of a small paper back. 

Since then things have taken over, one memory leads into another then some thing jog's yer memory and before

you know it the little book is getting bigger and bigger.

The beginning was easy and every thing is planned to take it to the ending which was decided upon early doors.

Names are being changed to protect both the innocent and the guilty and most things are real, could have happened or

should have happened (or just totally made up)

Sheffield and the surrounding country side is being used as a back drop (pre CCTV and mobile phones).

I'm having to use old road maps because of how much the road network has changed since the late 1960's.

Personally I'm happy with it so far and if i'm the only one left - er sorry I meant if i'm the only one to ever read it I'm happy with what I've achieved so far.

Go on get creative while on lock down - write a book.

Rocker.

On 02/04/2020 at 12:01, max said:

Just coming to the end of Ian Rankin's "In a house of lies". I don't want to finish it as it's one of his better ones, in my opinion, but I'm desperate to get to the denouement.

Should I read the end after a bottle of wine so I'll forget and be able to read it again? 

I've done that a few times, double the pleasure.

I'm wishing I'd have got Hilary Mantel's finale to her story of Cromwell before the lockdown occured.

4 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Writing my own and what a perfect time to do so.

The old saying 'everybody has at least one book in them' has to be true.

I started on something a few years ago but as happened it has been put on the back burner for a while.

I'm still on with it (in a sort of way) but it got side lined work, family new job etc, etc.

While talking about Motorcycles and growing up in Sheffield with my Brother I started this project last year

with the intention's of writing something on the lines of a small paper back. 

Since then things have taken over, one memory leads into another then some thing jog's yer memory and before

you know it the little book is getting bigger and bigger.

The beginning was easy and every thing is planned to take it to the ending which was decided upon early doors.

Names are being changed to protect both the innocent and the guilty and most things are real, could have happened or

should have happened (or just totally made up)

Sheffield and the surrounding country side is being used as a back drop (pre CCTV and mobile phones).

I'm having to use old road maps because of how much the road network has changed since the late 1960's.

Personally I'm happy with it so far and if i'm the only one left - er sorry I meant if i'm the only one to ever read it I'm happy with what I've achieved so far.

Go on get creative while on lock down - write a book.

Rocker.

Good on you, my husbands a big motorbike fan who's currently mourning the cancelling of the TT,  lack of motor racing events happening. If your book gets finished which i'm sure it will I am sure you'll have an interest in reading it. Keep up the good work! !

I've just finished Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce, which was in a 3 for a fiver bundle (so I didn't have high hopes!). 

Surprisingly enjoyable story about a heavy drinking female barrister whose marriage is falling apart as she deals with an ill fated affair, and defending a domestic violence murder.  One of those books where none of the main characters are likeable, but it drew me in. 

The Essential Dave Allen.  Edited by Graham McCann. Very good. I haven't got him on DVD but will start looking for some.

Am reading Hilary Mantel the Mirror and the Light. It is brilliant. Have been waiting 7 years for it. Got it from the supermarket half price before the lock down. Well worth the wait. 

On 07/04/2020 at 09:08, feargal said:

I've just finished Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce, which was in a 3 for a fiver bundle (so I didn't have high hopes!). 

Hello Feargal

Three for a £5 I'd expect something very good for that (I am Scottish)

I can never understand why people spend say £18 on a book read it once then sell it on't car boot for 10p.

For as long as I can remember I've always read something and was probably reading three a week at one point.

Yes we do have a TV but I choose not to watch it just for the sake of it.

I've slowed down to probably one a week (ish) but always happy if i'm starting on my second one.

I do not stick to one subject or Author usually and this has played out well so far having found some real Jem's almost by 

accident. I'm reading one now. i did mention it in one of my earlier post, it had the most mind numbing introduction but 

has turned into one of the funniest, strangest things i have read for a while.

I shall tell you all what it is when i've finished.

Till then in between writing, building bikes, cars trying to sort the house, and surviving I'll be reading.

Enjoy