The "I am currently reading" thread

Since Christmas -

Black Summer - MW Craven, good police thriller. (you don't need to read the Puppet show but it helps with the characters)

New Jack Reacher, as good as they always are.

My Lovely Wife-Samantha Downing, very first person ish,excellent read.

Dead of Winter- Lee Weeks , excellent oldie crime drama from 2012

Victorian Underworld  -drug addictions,prostitution,dislike for authority and an age of consent of 12. Powerful non fiction of a bygone era.

'Footnotes: A Journey Round Britain in the Company of Great Writers' by Peter Fiennes. Anyone who saw his meet & greet at last October's Off The Shelf event will know straight away that it's worth investigating. Finished his takes on Enid Blyton and Wilkie Collins (first 2 chapters). His observations, while far from cruel, make me kind of glad I never met either 😀.

Just finished My Last Supper: One Meal, a Lifetime in the Making by Jay Raynor, a memoir exploring his favourite foods and foody memories. It's made me want to try raw oysters.

Just started Now You See Them by Elly Griffiths. It's one of her Brighton series which haven't been the best but this one was recommended to me as the best of the bunch.

Just finished Melmoth by Sarah Perry, author of The Essex Serpent. Excellent stuff, not a thriller as such, but like the Essex Serpent, it's unsettling.  

I've also finished 3 chazza shop thrillers that  have been hanging round on the 'to do' pile for too long.  I've already forgotten what they were!  Chewing gum for the eyes 😊

'Gary Speed  - Unspoken' by John Richardson with Louise Speed.  The family's story.

Transcription by Kate Atkinson. 

A story of a female operative in WW2 who listens in on various fifth columnists for MI5 but finds herself confronted by figures from this time 10 years later whilst working for the BBC.

Very enjoyable so far. I do like her books even those then end up being a bit weird. 

22 hours ago, taxman said:

Transcription by Kate Atkinson. 

A story of a female operative in WW2 who listens in on various fifth columnists for MI5 but finds herself confronted by figures from this time 10 years later whilst working for the BBC.

Very enjoyable so far. I do like her books even those then end up being a bit weird. 

Love a Kate Atkinson book!  I'll have to seek this one out. 

Rage by Richard Bachman (Stephen King)

I actually bought and read this years ago but after reading an article about the controversy surrounding it I thought I’d dig it out again.

Its out of print now at Kings request due to the subject matter, and the fact that 5 high school shooters were found to own or had recently read it. 
Hard to believe it was written half a century ago, it feels as relevant as if it was written yesterday. It made me feel really sad more than anything.

My Secret History by Paul Theroux. I'm really enjoying this, I've read some of his travel writing in the past but this is my first foray into his fiction. I'll have to seek out some more.

A foundationonline module on the government's anti-terrorism/safeguarding PREVENT initiative.  It's a work thing....

Currently half way through The Davidson Case by John Rhode. This is quite an early outing for his series detective Dr. Priestley, as shown by the fact that he does actually go and do some investigating himself rather than letting the police do all the hard work and then coming up with the solution, and also by the fact that Supt. Hanslet isn't Supt. yet, just Chief Inspector. So far so good though.

Just read: Mystery at Olympia by John Rhode - a mid-period Rhode with an ingenious (if decidedly iffy) murder method. Was reprinted a couple of years ago so more easily obtainable than most of his others.

The Exploits of Arsene Lupin by Maurice Leblanc - Lupin was a Raffles-like gentleman thief in numerous books by Leblanc. Very enjoyable.

Edited by metalman

'A Spot of Bother' by Mark Haddon.  Its rather weird but I'm halfway through the 500 pages and am enjoying it.