The "I am currently reading" thread

I have recently finished a couple of Ann Cleeves' Shetland stories featuring Jimmy Perez,  Dead Water and Wildfire, which were very good. I managed them both over the Bank Holiday weekend sat in the garden...bliss.

I am now reading one of her earlier novels, A Day in the Death of Dorothea Cassidy which is unfortunately not so accomplished or well written.

Just finished 'Salvation' by Peter F. Hamilton. I'm generally a fan of his work but I have to say that whilst this was entertaining enough it has a weird format that makes it appear almost as if it's actually a collection of linked short stories with a rudimentary overarching short story to tie them together and it took me a large part of the book to become comfortable with the style.

Next up - A Legacy Of Spies by John le Carré.

Ive just finished Devils Knot by Mara Leveritt.

The true story of the West Memphis Three, who were charged and imprisoned for the murders of 3 eight year old boys in Arkansas in 1993.

Its an interesting read, made me want to look further into the case.

2 hours ago, nikki-red said:

Ive just finished Devils Knot by Mara Leveritt.

The true story of the West Memphis Three, who were charged and imprisoned for the murders of 3 eight year old boys in Arkansas in 1993.

Its an interesting read, made me want to look further into the case.

I'm sure I once watched a documentary about this but can't recall the name of it.

7 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I'm sure I once watched a documentary about this but can't recall the name of it.

There’s been a few I think, also a film in 2013 starring Reece Witherspoon and Colin Firth.

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

There’s been a few I think, also a film in 2013 starring Reece Witherspoon and Colin Firth.

I’ll try and remember the name of it.

2 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I’ll try and remember the name of it.

Devils knot.

I've just wiki'd the story. Shocking.

16 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Devils knot.

I've just wiki'd the story. Shocking.

I’ve found it - West Of Memphis directed by Amy Berg, I’m assuming there’s a few docs relating to this.

The Snakes by Sadie Jones. Family drama. This is ok but not brilliant. A while back I read The Outcast by the same author and really enjoyed it but this one isn't in the same league, it's just ok.

No Mistaking Corker by Monica Edwards. A re-read of a kid's book that I read as a kid, along with many other books by  Monica Edwards. Great! Deeply old fashioned but that's part of its charm. 

Just finished The Rooster Bar by John Grisham I quite enjoyed it, its got a fairly unnecessary subplot and a bit of a rushed ending but a decent read.

Salems Lot by Stephen King.

A book I've read many times.

Just finished Full Steam Ahead Felix by Felix, The Hudderfield Station Cat (obviously ghost written by some human).

Mawkish and poorly written but I do love her so she's forgiven. So sad in parts that I stopped taking it to work to read so people on the tram or at luchtime wouldn't see me blubbing.