The "I am currently reading" thread

Recently finished The Kindness of Strangers - Travel stories that make your heart grow.

Enjoyed it, some uplifting stories, and a great antidote to some of the xenophobia and fear of strangers in these pre-Brexit times.

The Vanishing Box by Elly Griffiths. Murder and magic in 1950's Brighton.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 07:20, taxman said:

The Vanishing Box by Elly Griffiths. Murder and magic in 1950's Brighton.

Just got this one taxman, I hope it's a good read. I've read all her previous works but, having lived in Norfolk for a time I could relate to them as most were set in Norfolk. I'll share my opinion once I've read it.

14 hours ago, DUFFEMS said:

Just got this one taxman, I hope it's a good read. I've read all her previous works but, having lived in Norfolk for a time I could relate to them as most were set in Norfolk. I'll share my opinion once I've read it.

Hiya,

I prefer the Norfolk ones, this magician series seems a bith lightweight and predictable in comparison.

ABC's of Quantum Mechanics by V. Rydnik, 2001

An expanded translation of the original Russian book (1963).
Over the years I've tried numerous lucid tomes in my quest to understand some of this. Here the clever prose keeps you awake and the analogies lift it.
A few of the concepts even got levered into my surprised brain.

Just finished Ancillary Mercy, the last volume of the trilogy by Ann Leckie. I thought it was a pretty good effort on the whole but the whole gender thing seemed a bit pointless and there was altogether too much tea drinking (the whole thing could have been about 25% shorter if you took out all the dialogue of one person asking another if they wanted some tea), and the climax of the trilogy was perhaps a bit underwhelming, but certainly worth a read.

Now onto The Dead Don't Care by Jonathan Latimer, another of his hard-boiled crime capers.

On 06/01/2019 at 21:45, Jason1969 said:

Step by Step -  The Life in my Journeys - Simon Reeve.

interesting guy, not the middle class, well educated chap I thought he was , far from it. Suffered from depression etc as a teenager , got where he is today through hard work and enthusiasm.

I've just started this and am enjoying it so far.

Milkman by Anna Burns. The 2018 Booker prize winner. I'm finding it incredibly hard going though. All prose and no breaks. Definitely not holiday reading. May have to give up on it. 

'Why Mummy Drinks'  by Gill Sims.  Hilarious.

Re-reading The White Lioness by Henning Mankell.  I got a yen for a bit of Wallender...

Season of the Witch by Arni Thorarinsson. Another Icelandic murder mystery

6 hours ago, taxman said:

Season of the Witch by Arni Thorarinsson. Another Icelandic murder mystery

Buggeration!  I forgot to send you that (other) Icelandic thriller!  Will do it next week.  Sorry!