The "I am currently reading" thread

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. A strange story based in Germany in the late 30's/early 40's. Interesting and quite educational.

Great book, <removed> film. It was originally a children's book but gained an adult readership.

Edited by nikki-red
Masked swearing

I've just finished the Stieg Larsson Lisbeth Salander trio and started The Impossible Dead by Ian Rankin, with The Girl in the Spider's Web, David Lagercrantz's follow on to Stieg Larsson, to follow.

I also have Luca Turin's The Secret of Scent on the go by the bedside and am rereading The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine by James le Fanu as and when.

I've just finished the Stieg Larsson Lisbeth Salander trio and started The Impossible Dead by Ian Rankin, with The Girl in the Spider's Web, David Lagercrantz's follow on to Stieg Larsson, to follow.

I also have Luca Turin's The Secret of Scent on the go by the bedside and am rereading The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine by James le Fanu as and when.

I can't do that, have more than one book on the go at a time. My brain just refuses to do it. If I open a second book while already reading one I never go back to the first one. Just can't.

Just started the latest one by L. C. Tyler, called Herring in the Smoke. A few days ago after it had just come out it was on offer on Amazon for £4.99 in hardback but it seems to have gone up a bit now. This is turning out to be a series I can depend on for a good read every time.

Edgelands by Paul Farley and Michael Symmons Roberts. An ode to the spaces in between, the places that are neither town nor countryside but the scrappy no man's land we usually ignore. Sewage works, car parks, landfills and dumps, that kind of thing. Doesn't sound very inspiring but it's actually a good read, quirky and almost elegiac at times.

Separate Lives by Kathryn Flett. Modern Life. A jumble of relationship chaos, often fuelled by Pimms and wine.

I'm about half way through Annihilation, the first book in Jeff Vandermeer's Southern Reach trilogy. The similarity with the Strugatsky brothers Roadside Picnic (and the subsequent Tarkovsky film Stalker) is in the back of your mind but this is definitely a different animal: there's a hint of Lovecraft, even a hint of Ballard as well. So far it's been weird, gripping and completely original.

I'm currently reading Donna Leon's Comissario Brunetti series. Set in Venice, a mixture of crime, family life, cookery and corruption. Easy reading and for me, very addictive.

The Death List by Paul Johnston. Gripping enough serial killer stuff but further evidence of the demise of proofreaders. Checks instead of cheques, electric metre instead of meter.

The Mandibles by Lionel Shriver .

It is the story of one family when the Worlds top currencies finally go bust .

Very scary and also very funny at the same time.

The Death List by Paul Johnston. Gripping enough serial killer stuff but further evidence of the demise of proofreaders. Checks instead of cheques, electric metre instead of meter.

This turned out to be pants in the end.

Now on Find Her by Lisa Gardner. A twisted tale of abduction, power and retribution. Read about half the book in one sitting this afternoon.