The "I am currently reading" thread

Just bought "My James" by his father Ralph Bulger. Not started reading it yet though - I'll probably cry the whole way through!

A Short History of England by Simon Jenkins. A race through 1500 years in 350 pages. Great.

A Siege of Bitterns by Steve Burrows.

Described as a birder murder mystery, zipped through the first 180 pages and am really enjoying it. It probably helps if you have a passing interest in birding matters though.

I read 'The Fault in Our Stars' while I was in hospital recently, and was glad to be in a private room as it meant embarrassing myself less with crying.

I'm currently on Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer, both of which are rather good, and when I finish those I've got several of this year's Costa shortlist and a few by Pat Barker, Ian Rankin and Kate Atkinson lined up next.

A Short History of England by Simon Jenkins. A race through 1500 years in 350 pages. Great.

In a similar vein, I'm reading a Christmas present: 'The History of the World in Bite-sized Chunks', by Emma Marriot. At only 192 pages (including the 14-page bibliography/index), and commencing at 3500BC, you can imagine how briefly it lingers on any one area of the subject.

An easy read and good as a taster for someone whose school history lessons barely touched anything happening outside of our shores.

The murders in Praed Street by John Rhode. Another Golden Age detective story, though unusually this is an early example of a serial killer story.

Just finished On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. A rather sad little tale about first night nerves and long term consequences.

The Deal-Michael Clifford.

Set in Eire,a tale about home grown cannabis cultivation and gangsters.

Funny and compelling reading.

I'm reading 'The Screwtape Letters' by CS Lewis. I like it, good insight into how easily human's are and can be manipulated for either good or bad. It's also odd seeing the word God renamed as The Enemy lol. Anyone else read it?

SOOoo many books to read...

So LITTLE time! :shakes:

I've stopped reading. The last few books I started I threw down into the corner of the room. I'm a dyed in the wool old-fashioned reactionary and can't abide this P.C. mad world. I started a book about Agincourt the famous battle that the English under Henry V won against the French. This silly woman kept Referring to it, presumably in the French way, as Azincourt. I suppose I could reasonably safely read things written before 1985 after which things went haywire.

Just finished 'The woods are dark' by Richard Laymon and now I'm back to the 1920s and 30s detective stories with 'The Ponson Case' by Freeman Wills Crofts.