The "I am currently reading" thread

Britishness-Perspectives on the British Question.-Andrew Gamble & Tony Wright.

Very heavy going sleep inducing polemics.

Britishness-Perspectives on the British Question.-Andrew Gamble & Tony Wright.

Very heavy going sleep inducing polemics.

Sounds riveting. Andrew Gamble was sleep inducing back in my student days.

I've just finished 'Three for the chair' by Rex Stout, consisting of three fairly long Nero Wolfe stories. Now I'm on to 'Along my line', which was the autobiography of Gilbert Harding. He was a sort of Victor Meldrew of the 1950s, basically famous for being grumpy on a variety of panel shows. He was also famous for welling up when asked about death in an interview with John Freeman on the programme Face to Face. In the last line of the book he says he wishes the future was over, and in November 1960, a few weeks after its publication, he dropped dead of an asthma attack on the steps of Broadcasting House.

'Dust and Shadow' by Lyndsay Faye. Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper narrated, of course, by Dr Watson. A non-canonical tale that captures the voice and tone of Conan Doyle's creations better than most.

There's either a clanging great clue to the killer's possible identity very early on, or a gigantic red herring. I'm enjoying reading on to find out which it is.

ETA: I was right! Quickest spotting of the killer ever!

Edited by Guest

Almost finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It's a lengthy book, but so beautifully written. I shall be quite sad to finish it.

'The Hanging Wood' by Martin Edwards. Its written round a cold case scenario as in 'New Tricks'. Its based in Cumbria and its good.

Sailing Close To The Wind, Reminiscences by Dennis Skinner. Brilliant!, informative, autobiographical, humorous, a down to earth story of the life of a marvellous MP. Highly recommended

Perfidia by James Ellroy, a perfect perspective on people, pugnacious pompous and pedantic properly perfected publicly personified and personally publicized.

A story of perfumed pussies, delectable dames, vicious vamps, loathsome lesbians, criminal Chinese, cunning cops and Jiving Japs, asthmatic Airedales acidic actresses, deadly Dudley.

Righteously recommended.

After reading 'The Seance' by John Harwood, and enjoying it very much, I've just started on his first novel, 'The Ghost Writer'. You might be able to spot a theme forming.

Close To The Bone - Stuart Macbride.

A crime thriller set in Aberdeen,good so far.

Been reading quite a lot recently ... since I got my new Kindle Fire for Christmas actually.

Currently on with 'The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul' by Douglas Adams ... top book.

One book that stands out though is 'Evangeline' by E.A.Gottschalk ... a brilliantly written, can't put down story involving a psychopathic girl (called Evangeline) in a disturbing, although at times humorous, tale of a serial killing spree as her mind is taken over by her other evil self (classic psychopath stuff).

Disturbing as much as anything when you discover who the actual author is.

I was amazed that this book is free. Deffo 10/10.

Almost finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It's a lengthy book, but so beautifully written. I shall be quite sad to finish it.

Agreed, fantastic book.

I'm about to finish Just Kids by Patti Smith, it's about her 20-year relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe. Sad, poetic, mystical and thoroughly engaging.