The "I am currently reading" thread

Plum Island by Nelson Demille - I'm half way through this murder mystery and so far I am thoroughly enjoying it. it's the first book I have read by this author and I like his style.

Regressed to my childhood with Jennings goes to school by Anthony Buckeridge.

I am currently reading a Dr Thorndyke novel by R Austin Freeman - like Sherlock Holmes but with more brains (on kindle)

Reading 'the dice man' by Luke Rhineheart. About a bloke (the author) who makes every decision by the throw of a dice. Bit weird and amusing, so I like it. :)

Wool - Hugh Howey

Post Apocalyptic tale of a group of people living in an underground silo. It's more of a collection of connected novellas, bit of a slow burner but I'm enjoying it.

Reading 'the dice man' by Luke Rhineheart. About a bloke (the author) who makes every decision by the throw of a dice. Bit weird and amusing, so I like it. :)

Was recommended that on here. Read it.(past tense). Its different and I enjoyed the read. Still in the bookcase. Well worth another read in a couple of years.

Driftglass by Samuel R. Delany. Science fiction short stories, very 1960s s but still excellent.

"the Kite Runners" by Khaled Hosseini.

I had read his second book first, "A Thousand Splendid Suns", and was very touched by it, and had been looking out for the first book for a while.

My verdict? Very good, so far.

I have just managed to buy an old and tatty copy of 'Aubrey's Brief Lives'. I saw Roy Dotrice playing Aubrey on tv in the 60's and have never forgotten how brilliant it was, so I am very much looking forward to reading this little gem.

I hated that book, it's one of the very few books I've started but didn't finish.

Currently reading The Gallows Curse by Karen Maitland. 13th century murder and intrigue.

Driftglass by Samuel R. Delany. Science fiction short stories, very 1960s s but still excellent.

Would you recommend?

Or is it really trashy 60s sci fi?

"the Kite Runners" by Khaled Hosseini.

I had read his second book first, "A Thousand Splendid Suns", and was very touched by it, and had been looking out for the first book for a while.

My verdict? Very good, so far.

Excellent story. Read 'The Kite Runner' first, but the film is brilliant too and very faithful to the book. Made me cry. (and G/F). Emotions are good, as it proves you have them for starters.

I'll read 'A thousand Splendid Suns' next, after the increasingly boring (but well written) 'The Dice Man' (mentioned earlier). Up to about page 450 now, so may as well finish it ... about 100 to go!