The "I am currently reading" thread

I recently finished "One Day" by David Nicholls (a birthday gift from a fellow forummer!).

A beautiful read, the way it spans the most part of a lifetime is very clever - you really do get sucked in and want to know more, leaving you feeling like the characters are new friends in your life. Funny, poignant and moving. Read it before it's released as a movie! (Already started filming!)

Just reading this and I have to say that I am bored of the whole When Harry Met Sally thing and just want to cut to the chase and see them finally get together. Am currently at the 'Four Weddings' bit. It is amusing in parts although I would have liked to see more references to the current affairs and politics. I imagine that it will make a great film, it's written for the big screen really.

Just reading this and I have to say that I am bored of the whole When Harry Met Sally thing and just want to cut to the chase and see them finally get together. Am currently at the 'Four Weddings' bit. It is amusing in parts although I would have liked to see more references to the current affairs and politics. I imagine that it will make a great film, it's written for the big screen really.

I've slightly revised my original view of this having now finished it. I saw the 'end' coming so it did not shock me, as was probably the author's intention, however, the last three 'years' really moved me - and I cried! I imagine the film will be a real weepie and promoted as a chick flick, whereas the book is not a chick lit one. There are some wonderfully comic moments as well as some very profound ones. Dexter is a very flawed character and cliched though it is, all he needed was the 'love of a good woman'. Emma is my kind of woman, she's great.

ETA: has anyone ever seen Same Time, Next Year, starring Alan Alda? The format of the book reminds me of that, that was a great film and moving too.

Edited by Suffragette1

Reading 'The Discovery of France' by Graham Robb. I thought it would be a dull travel journal, but it runs a lot deeper than that. It has been interesting so far.

Green for Danger by Christianna Brand. Classic whodunnit set in wartime military hospital, memorably filmed with Alistair Sim as the detective. Jolly good golden age stuff.

Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy. Had no idea what to expect when I picked it up off the book trolley at work but have since been informed that her books are only one step up from Mills and Boon. Never mind, I'm quite enjoying it.

Sister by Rosamund Lupton. Really good read, very moving.

Alternating between re-reading The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, and an old Wycliffe tale.

I've just finished the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, by Steig Larsson.

The premise covers a terrible tale, A fourteen -year old girl who vanished forty years previously, believed to be the victim of a serial killer... Interesting twists, although I felt he went too descriptive at times to the detriment of the story flowing...

I'm just starting the sequel (2/3) The Girl Who Played With Fire.

The premise covers a terrible tale, A fourteen -year old girl who vanished forty years previously, believed to be the victim of a serial killer... Interesting twists, although I felt he went too descriptive at times to the detriment of the story flowing...

Did you enjoy it? In my view, it's the best of the trilogy. Its original title in Swedish (as well as the French translated version) is Men Who Hate Women, which contextualises the stats that appear at periodic intervals throughout the novel.

I thought that was an amazing book, mainly due to the introduction of the characters rather than the missing girl story.

I thought the story in the second book was marginally better, more in depth with the background into Lisbeth's life.

I thought that was an amazing book, mainly due to the introduction of the characters rather than the missing girl story.

I thought the story in the second book was marginally better, more in depth with the background into Lisbeth's life.

I agree, it is an excellent and tense read. Rest of comments in white font so as not to spoil it for those who've not yet read it. The background to Lisbeth which gives the reader an insight into her psyche (which was all divulged in the first film, annoyingly) was the best thing about the 2nd novel, however, I missed the fact that there the relationship between Lisbeth and Mikael was purely virtual.