Old cinemas of sheffield

Originally posted by Jan39

does anyone remember the Union on Union street. I went to see The King and I there in the 50's, Yule Brinner was the King of Siam I think the female star was Audrey Hepburn

The King of Siam was, indeed played by YUL Brynner, but the part of Anna Leonowens was played, I think, by Deborah Kerr (or was it Carr? i always get Deborah Kerr and Deborah Carr mixed up)

I love the old musicals! Oklahoma!, The King and I, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, carousel, and West Side Story...

and as for "Singin' In The Rain!" well... I am enraptured! lol

(le sigh!)

PT

I lived on Arthur Road as a teenager across from the Sasparilla shop and the Abbeydale cinema. The billiard hall was a bit classy as was the cinema. We liked the drink shop cos it was like a pub to us. The Heeley Picture Palace was next to Ponsford's and the Heeley Coli just down the street. The Star was advertised as the first one in Sheffield with air conditioning.

I use to enjoy the Sunday night queue at the Hippodrome. It was more entertaining than the movie. Used to be a Scottish bagpiper walk the line playing his pipes. One night somebody let off a banger right under his kilt. He sure played a bum note when that happened!

Originally posted by redlionblade

No ones mentioned The Oxford.Opposite the cinema on Addy St. was a sweet shop called Cinema Daintees.My wifes grandparents owned this shop.Does anyone remember it and have any photos of it?

Was never out of the Oxford myself remember the saturday afternoon matinees when you came out with your duffle coat fastened round yer neck smackin your backside as though you were riding a horse.

Also do you remember the Unity on Langsett road it had an impressive arch enterance. My grandparents had the sweet shop and coach garage opposite.

Desy you've stopped an old man going nuts. So the Unity was on Langsett Road, where exactly? I have'nt been in Sheffield for years. I can remember the Rosco/a, Wicker, Don, Rutland, Coliseum, loads of 'em, even the poor old Weston, God bless it, but I'm damned if I can place the Unity.

Originally posted by Texas

Desy you've stopped an old man going nuts. So the Unity was on Langsett Road, where exactly? I have'nt been in Sheffield for years. I can remember the Rosco/a, Wicker, Don, Rutland, Coliseum, loads of 'em, even the poor old Weston, God bless it, but I'm damned if I can place the Unity.

If you got to the top of Wood Street traffic lights going up Langsett Road. Come back on your right hand side there was a shop first at the door to the dance school upstairs, then another shop, double entrance on 2 shop fronts a cafe (now a chippy/cafe. Then the Unity was flush up to the road it is now the top side of the car park to Mecca bingo. Was later a carpet showroom until ir got pulled down.

As some of you know, I have an interesting Old Cinemas of Sheffield Website

But I am announcing a new section which features a collection of 70 year old photographs which were taken, mainly of the " Next week Film displays " by the Assistant manager of the Regent Cinema ( Later known as Gaumont ) in Barkers Pool Mr H.G. Chamberlain in 1935 and 1936.

His son who lives in the midlands, has been in touch with me and sent me his valuable photographs so I can add them to the site and present them to Sheffielders and former Sheffielders who might find them interesting.

I'm sure you agree they are fascinating..

And once again I would like to thank Mr Chamberlain for his contribution.

Regent Display Archive

MC

Originally posted by bigkev

did anybody ever visit the studio 7 cinema on the wicker and how about the classic cinema in fiztallan square what were the others called the abc was one of them the gaumont,oden does anybody know where the oden once stood and can anybody remember abbeydale cinema or the heeley cinema and can anybody tell me where they all once stood now that sheffield as changed beyond recognistion. can anybody remember where the whimpy cafe's use to be in sheffield you watch someone will come out with the statement there was know whimpy cafes in sheffield but oh yes there was in the 60's and early part of the 70's infact if you walk just up from boots the chemist on your way to W H Smiths you would have passed one where I think is the game shop now stands can anybody remember the sarsaparilla shop on abbeydale road it was near abbeydale cinema when I was a kid and I use to go swimming at heeley baths the one place we would head for was the sarsaparilla shop when we came out of the baths you could buy the drink in either half pint glasses or pint glasses to look at it you would think it was a very flat stout, I wonder how many other people will remember it.

The first Odeon is stll standing on Flat St its now a Bingo Hall. The first Wimpey in town was on the bottom end of Pinstone St in the very early sixties.

I worked at Studio 7 in the Wicker from 1966 to 1969 when it was owned by the Star Group.

I remember a fire which destroyed most of the auditorium in Dec 67??.

Prior to the fire the cinema was in need of renovation.

The cinema was rebuilt and reopened early in 1968 showing such films as 'The Mikado' and 'La Boheme' as well as the more normal fare. Plus there were a number of 'Northern Premiers' as well with visits from such stars as Linda Hayden. In early 1969 (I believe) late shows were put on on Saturday nights. Mind you I dont remember being paid anymore to stay later.

I left in the eary summer of 1969 and reading some of the previous Posts I am glad I left when I did.

I also visited a few other cinemas that were owned by Star including 'Pavilion Attercliffe' and The Abbeydale. And helped close a couple down when they were due for conversion to 'Bingo Halls'.

But the names have long gone from my memory.

Maurice

The Odeon is now the Kingdom nightclub......the ABC is now a Travel Inn. WIMPY bars...there were TWO in SHeffield City Centre, one was on Fargate and became Burger King after a few other changes, the other was at the top of the Moor going towards the Peace Gardens....not sure which shop front it was but it was a big place that went back for quite a bit with a huge long counter. Very popular.......it was on the right hand side lookinn down the Moor before Debenhams.....maybe somewhere near that second hand electrical/musical junk shop place which has been there for years and years.

The original Odeon was what is now Mecca Bingo in Flat Street, and was fantastic inside.

Forgot to mention part of an old cinema.This was the "Gods" in the Hippodrome on the corner of Wellington St. and Cambridge St. I read somewhere that it had the biggest seating capacity in Sheffield and had started out life as a theatre.

I put "part " of a cinema because when I used to go with a mate of mine[both aged about 8,9 and 10] we could only afford to go in the "Gods",which cost about 10 old pence,[ about 4 new pence ].At that time a labourer would perhaps earn about 15-20 new pence per hour.

"The Gods"were usually a riot of noise and bad behaviour. If the film was even mildly boring,the audince would shout,joke and sling things over the balcony.This was the era of the Teddy Boy and even at 9 and 10 years of age,we tried eo copy them as far as possible.Had my first cigarette in there,I think---at least I remember smoking. There were no seats ,as such, just rows and rows of wooden benches !

There was an attendant who didn't even have a uniform---only a peaked cap ! He was getting on a bit and had no chance of controlling the mob. He'd keep disappearing and re-appearing and very occasionally he'd try to sling someone out but they'd usually sneak back.

At one stage,we were going to the Hippodrome about 3 times a week. If it was an A film,we'd wait outside and ask one of the Teddy Boys to take us in.It also had a sliding roof for very hot daysand probably to let the smoke out too.

Reminds me a bit of that brilliant Italian film, "Cinema Paradiso "

!

The Hippodrome was originally a theatre, and unique in the fact that it had a sliding roof, which could be opened on those hot summer nights, or to get rid of the cigarette smoke.

this cinema has been mentioned before; it was (IIRC) the Essoldo.

PT

Before it was the Essoldo it was The Capitol. The advent of World War 2 delayed its opening by a week or so, then the government closed all places of entertainment. That was a mistake and they were all reopened minus frontage lights etc.

Essoldo gets its name from its founder Mr Solomon Sheckman. His

wife's name was ESther, his SOLomon, and their daughters DOrothy. That is the truth.